Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any feedback on the Holley 670 OEM replacement T/B?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fad2blk99, Mar 5, 2004.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I haven't herd much about it. Is it any good?

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Depends on what you plan on putting it on. I have mine on a 383 with a nice set of heads and a very mild cam and the TBI is working out quite well. If your putting it on a stock motor it may run a little rich, just keep the stock fuel pump. The only other thing I did was run a 60lb fuel pump and it runs like a beast. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Does that thing come w/ an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? If not are you running one on your 383?

I'm wanting to build a 383 w/ a mild cam and some vortec heads (CPP makes a TBI/Vortec intake). I'd love to think I can approch 400 ft/lbs of torque w/ this setup.

What kind of heads are you running? W/ your setup can you roll the tires from a dead stop? About how much torque are you producing? Was there anything else you modified on you TBI setup ohter than the fuel pump and T/B?

Sorry to assalt you with all these questions, but I've been looking for someone running this setup...

4. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

As a matter of fact, I'm fighting one now. K5er4Life ain't kidding when he said that they tend to run a little rich on a stock motor. I'm trying to get the hesitation out of mine. When you open the throttle quickly, it hesitates unless you advance the timing, then you have to deal with the pinging. I am danged and determined to get this one running correctly or loose the rest of my hair in the process. Like all Holleys, you have to tune it to your engine. Do yerself a favor and get ALDL. It will show a LOT more information than a scanner or the 'ol paperclip trick.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Can you lower the fuel pressure regulator some? I had to crank it up some on mine to get the level I needed.

6. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

It's as low as the regulator in the TBI will go. I might have to buy (sheeze more $$ /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) an external one to get this dang thing right though.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

You can adjust the fuel pressure from within the TBI, on the holley you can only run it up to 21 psi. and trust me with an healthy 383 your gonna need all the pressure you can get. I put a different spring in mine that allowed up to 27 psi but I found 22 psi is about perfect for my motor. I got the crane cams (formaly compucam 2040) TBI cam, it has 210/216 @0.050 duration, .440"/.484" of lift, I got the exhaust lift a little higher by running 1.6 ratio roller rockers on only the exhaust valves. I also got the world products s/r torquer heads, 2.02/1.60 valves, and it flows pretty well. Its not making much hp but its definitely made up for it in torque. At best estimates it making about 350 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif horses and 440 ft./lb. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Not to shabby for a TBI. It runs great, I have 38's w/4.56's and it definitely gets up and goes, it can spin them pretty easily if I really get on it. If you go with the vortec heads and of good size cam (for a TBI) youll definitely be making atleast 400 ft/lb's of torque, and with the cam that I ran I didnt even have to tune the chip that far off from stock. Once you do it get ALDL and a chip burner, do lots of research and ask questions over at www.thirdgen.org, they have been an invaluable resource to my build up. And good luck with it, if you any question ask away, you can email me or pm me and I would be glad to help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info... /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif I'll definitely be dropping you a PM in the near future.

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah... one more Q.... What kind of intake are you running? I know I mentioned the CPP TBI/Vortec intake, but that thing is like $300 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I'm thinking either a TBI to square bore adapter plate and a Performer or Perf RPM AirGap... just not sure if the RPM will kill a noticalbe amount of low end torque /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind how you are going to run the EGR valve when considering manifolds....

11. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I got the holley pro-jection manifold, I really like it b/c it already has the 2" bores already, unlke the edelbrock tbi manifold. But the holley is not smog legal, even though it even has a provision for egr. Basically the manifold looks pretty similar to the performer, and it has the same design for mounting a squarebore/spreadbore, but you would need to machine the top of the manifold in the pattern of the carb b/c it does only have 2 holes. Which manifold also depends on your heads that you want to run. If you get the vortecs than you have to get a manifold that will bolt up to it, becuase there are two bolts on each side of the manifold in the center that go in at a different angles. some people have just drilled the hole to where it lines up. If you get the world products heads you could get either the pre-87 head or the late model heads for tbi. The RPM air gap will bring down your low end a little, but I dont think it would be that bad. Plus they look pretty cool too /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. The holley intake ran me 250 which is a little high but still cheaper than 300. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I'm using vortec heads and the GMPP tbi/vortec intake on mine and I don't like it. I wish I would have gone with the World S/R torquer heads for 87-up and probably the edelbrock performer tbi intake. Whoever designed the tbi/vortec intake should be tied to a stake and whipped because nothing fits correctly on it. The throttle cable bracket has to be ground down to fit correctly plus it's missing the front vacuum port for the brake booster so you have to rig up a hose to the rear vacuum port. I had considered getting the holley tbi but instead I'll be going with a turbocity throttle body and injectors plus a cfm-tech tbi spacer. And this summer probably I'll get a custom chip burned from cfm-tech.

13. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm using vortec heads and the GMPP tbi/vortec intake on mine and I don't like it. I wish I would have gone with the World S/R torquer heads for 87-up and probably the edelbrock performer tbi intake.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are you just wishing you would have gone with the World products heads due to the intake issues or are the Vortecs not living up to the hype? How about the overall performance gain from this setup? Was it noticable--did you upgrade your stock cam to take advantage of the better flow characteristics of the Vortec heads?

Bracket fitment has been a problem w/ every aftermarket intake I've ever used. It's just par for the course that the GMPP intake has the same issues.

If you'd still like to go w/ the WP Torquer heads, I might consider buying your vortec head setup from ya /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif....

14. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you just wishing you would have gone with the World products heads due to the intake issues or are the Vortecs not living up to the hype? How about the overall performance gain from this setup? Was it noticable--did you upgrade your stock cam to take advantage of the better flow characteristics of the Vortec heads?

[/ QUOTE ]

-Well, the fitment was a pain but once it was done, everything was fine. The real problem is that it doesn't run particularly well when it's cold, wants to die when you give it gas. But, it does have good power once it's warm. The combustion chamber volume in the vortecs is only 64cc whereas stock, I think, is 76cc which is a big jump in compression, not to mention I was using a bored out and decked block which increased compression even more. It would probably be best to run premium fuel with them and I only run 89 octane (I'm on a budget). I've heard that with vortecs you need to get a custom chip burned to reap all the benefits, which was one of my plans for this summer. And no, I haven't upgraded my cam, still using the stock one which also could be one of my problems.

Finally, yes I would definitely consider selling you the Vortec heads along with the intake. However, it would have to wait until the middle/end of May because I don't have any time to mess with that during the college semester. Let me know if you're still interested.