Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any fire fighters here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mtnman210, Nov 1, 2005.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm begining to look at trying to get on LAFD here in socal. Anything special I should know or be ready for? Also I don't know about other places but here it is highly competitive on getting in---are there any tips for getting myself to stand out.

2. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

It would probably help if you were a black handicapped pregnant female lesbian.

That said, I know most departments in CA require a state firefighter cert before they'll hire you, but because of their size, LAFD may be different. Are you going for LA County or LA City? Try for City, County does too much wildland firefighting for my tastes. Best advice I have for you is to be in the best shape possible, try to do some ride-alongs with area departments, and do some reading on firefighting. It is NOTHING like Rescue Me or Ladder 49. Look for books by John Salka, FDNY or John Norman, FDNY. Also look for Books by a guy called Mittendorf, he's a Battalion Chief with LAFD.

Good luck.

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

yeah I kinda figured that part:haha::haha:

I don't plan on doing my physical test until after the first of the year so I'll be training hard through that period. So I'm hoping that will get me in decent shape. Is there any harm in applying for both city and county and just taking what comes up? and do you just file an application and get put somewhere or do I actually go to different houses and file an app with that specific house?

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

for physical fitness, get a hiking pack and fill it with approximately 60 pounds of "weight", then hit the stairs. arm strength is a plus as well, but your entire body can benefit from weight training.

train as if you were really fighting a fire, being pushed around and dragging hose.

It's very different from me, as I'm a volunteer fireman, but I do my own training regime, and being in the mountains helps me out greatly.

I focus on endurance more than physical strength.

But getting a paid position really is politics. Befriend a high-ranking official(s) within the fire service, as they will help you go further than most things. My friend was hired on with Fayetteville City about a year ago, and it was his second time applying. The only difference I saw between his first time and his second was that he knew more people in the service. His physical ability was the same and he hadn't received any "specialized" training between those times.

Best of luck to you. You won't regret it!

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I don't know what the conditions of hiring are in Cali, but in Oklahoma they are department specific. Some cities have outsourced the EMT/Paramedic responsibilities therefore you don't have to have an EMT or Paramedics license to test for those departments. However, it is beneficial to have your EMT or Paramedics license to put down on the application because most of the time the department is going to train you in EMP/Paramedic.

In some cities you have to have at least your EMT-B license in order for you to be a candidate. Just one of the conditions of the hiring process. Also, get the word out that's what you want to do. You never know who will meet from word of mouth that you can get into contact with. If you don't get hired right away, don't sweat it. Get yourself on a volunteer department if there is one close to where you live because experience always looks good on an app.

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the advice guys it's really helpful.

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ohh, one more thing. Test for departments that aren't your first choice. It's good practice for other tests because not all written/physical tests are the same.

8. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

lets see my cousin is Lubbock TX firemarshall my dad is district chief, and two uncles are captains. Oh and the only uncle not on the fire department is city manager(acctually he just retired).

Here you have have gone through and completed paramedics training and acadamy training and certification before you can even get an interview.

9. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

be prepared to wait, it took memphis tn 2.5 years after i tested to hire me & i was in the first class the city hired after the test. it is so competative people sued the city saying the test was unfair & they got about 7000 aplications. here we took an agility test, then several written test kinda like an easy A.C.T. then they give u a Gordan's Personnality Profile Test.

2 years later they send u to the doctor's office for about 8 hours worth of exams(eye, colorblind, stretch, height wieght ratio, & the dreaded finger up your but test) & a EKG treadmill test. after that u get to wait about 6 more months to get the phone call wanting to know if u are still interested in taking a job w/ the memphis fire dept. you'll say "about freaking time dang right i want the job!"