Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any fisherman here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cybrfire, Aug 5, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

My two boys want to start fishing. All I know about fishing is the fish are under water and I'm not and somehow I have to convince them they want what I got on the end of this line. Anybody have any advice as to what equipment I should be looking for. We want to be able to pack our stuff in quite aways so I'm looking for compact lightweight type stuff. I was even thinking ice fishing rods for the compactness. Any suggestions?

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

*wrong forum *cough*
    Just messin' with yah!

Try diggin up worms, thats what my dad and I used. They always like em! Also pinebeetles and maggots /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Wal-Mart and those types usually have "ultra-lite" set ups, this would be a rod and reel combo @ 4'6"-6' primarily for small fish or adventurous anglers going after bigger fish. Thes are great for kids as they are small, have a lot of "action" (basically flex) and affordable. For a kid I would suggest an "Ugly-Stik", they are guaranteed unbreakable and pretty cheap ($25 or so for combo). You can aslo get a great soft-sided tackle box/backpack that you can throw your gear in and strap to your back (and usually strap the rods to as well) for a hands free hike.

An ice fishing rod will be to small and stiff, and impossible to cast so skip that.

As for kids, forget the expensive lures, just get some bobbers, worms, and salmon eggs (depending on area) and let 'em throw those out, bass, crappie, trout, bream, just about anything will bite on a nice juicy worm if you leave it long enough.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

PS: don't forget the beer, you will catch nothing if at least one person doesn't drink at least one. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I almost forgot: if you got some scratch to blow, they make a really cool fishfinder now that acts as a bobber at the end of your line and the screen clips to your pole, all wireless and you can see what you're trying to catch.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

what kinda places? lakes i assume in iowa, do they have bass? trout? what do they have?

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I remembered the outdoors forum right after clicking the submit button. Maybe one of you moderators can move this for me?

Anyhow thanks for the advice so far. Keep it coming. I'll have to look into the wal mart rods. Was going to go there today but didn't have time. Had parts to ship out.

I can see us fishing in lakes small and large and maybe some river fishing. I had the opportunity to go to Spirit Lake a month ago and managed to haul in a 28" Walleye. Couple northerns the same size and a Musky that was in the 32" area and a smaller one and countless walleye that were too small too keep. The muskies were also too small to keep but I was able to keep the walleye and northerns. Good eating there. So I guess walleye is what I'm after if that matters. I think the kids like the kind of fishing where you cast it out and reel it back in for another go. I don't think that they are patient enough to watch a bobber. Myself, I guess as long as I can catch something from time to time and they are happy, I don't care.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

As qjk5 suggested, go to wal-mart. I highly recommend getting the small ugly stik. I bought mine for $29.99 and its a great small rod. They are guaranteed unbreakable, but they can break. My brother broke his right where the pole turns clear. They do have a 10 year (maybe its 7 years /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) warranty against breakage though. That rod is the perfect size for some lake or pond fishing. I actually took mine to the ocean and out on a boat fishing with me. I had something very large hooked up, i knew because the rod tip was bent to where it was almost touching the bottom of the pole, but after about 15 minutes of fighting, the line broke. I wasnt gaining too much ground though because the reel was too small to really pull the fish (i think it might have been a skate anyways.) When your there, pick up a box of assorted sized hooks, and some bobbers. Then just go to a bait shop and pick up some worms or minnows (worms tend to work the best), throw them on the hook, set the bobber height and let them sit in the water. When you feel a nibble, jerk the rod back hard to set the hook. I go fishing all the time and its a ton of fun. You can use almost anything for bait. Me and a friend caught a bunch of crappie one time using the crunchy fried chicken skin from our lunch. I also saw a guy catch a 50+ lb carp out of a lake using a piece of bread. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    BTW-If your ever near the nc coast i highly recommend setting up a trip with a charter boat captain at oregon inlet or pirates cove near manteo nc. There is some really great fishing in that area. We have caught everything there from large dolphin, wahoos, king mackerels, 350 lb bluefin tunas, and my dad caught a 500 lb blue marlin. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    -Harrison

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

The best thing to do would be get your rods and a tackle box at walmart or something like that then go to the bait store on or close to the lake and sk them whats working at the moment. Those guys know exactly whats going on and they know what and where the fish ar hitting.

Nick