Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any fix for the plastic tank on an aluminum radiator?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HarryH3, Aug 20, 2002.

1. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Has anyone discovered a magic elixir that will seal a crack in a plastic radiator tank? One of the tanks on the radiator in my S-Jimmy has a small crack in it, but all of the radiator repair epoxies that I've found don't list plastic as something they will stick too. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif GM wants $66 for a new side tank, plus $48 for the gaskets! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif If I can't find a cheaper way to fix it, I'll just buy a complete radiator. It's only a few bucks more! This radiator appears to be in fine shape other than this crack, even though it is 11 years old.

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

A radiator shop can install a aftermarket tank for less than that I'll bet. May as well have it rodded out too...
    Jim

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

For a temp fix, try JB weld...

4. DragnFly

DragnFly Registered Member

Hey Harry my name is Jason and I own a 1983 6.2l K10 Blazer (Diesel) When I got the blazer I noticed it had a crack in the radiator over flow tank, it would leak so much that I had to fill the thing every other day. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I know how you feel cause I couldnt find any radiator tanks at the junkyard and the price for a new one was outrageous. I finally got mad enough and got a tube of cheap superglue I got at FredMeyer and pached it that way. The weird thing is......IT WORKED! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Just clean the surface real well then hold the crack together and start pouring it on. It takes a while and AOLT of super glue, once one layer dries put another one on and so on. I superglued my hands together a few times but it was worth it. Well I hope this helps any, it worked for me, let me know if it works for you. gotmud227@mail.com -GOOD LUCK!-

5. FWP

FWP CRS

It's possible it may be hot air welded, although I've never tried it in that application. Depends on the type of plastic it's made out of. Most of the plastic I notice on vehicles is either ABS or poly, which is pretty easy to weld, but I'm not sure on a rad side tank. If it's a composite of some sort, forget my idea /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif , and replace it.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I found this last night: http://www.urethanesupply.com/v3n2.htm It looks like the plastic welding will work, but finding a shop that has it (and the nylon rod) might prove to be the issue.