Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any form Marines or Navy folk been stationed on GITMO? JTF folks too

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by semper-k-five, Nov 5, 2004.

1. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

I'm sittin here jammin to some Reggae and it's bringing back good memories of GITMO...was hopin to share some stories w/ some vets or actives...

Latteral Hazard was my second home next to Marine Hill!!! Of course the Barrell Club was a good place to find some split tale!!!!!!!

Such great memories!!!!!1 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. semper-k-five

Form = FORMER!!!

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You should be able to hit the edit button to fix that... It's up near reply. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. semper-k-five

i already had to chop the subject!! i'll have to cut out two more letters...i can live with it!

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, I was RSC/L for a year... may 94-may 95.

one things for sure, after 1 year there I'm immune to boredom. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

when were you there again? I was there for the refugee buildup (40,000+ cubans/haitians) and some of the riots, good times.

j

6. semper-k-five

that's when i was there...95 - 97...
    Man, I loved it there...Hikin' those old tank trails...hittin the beach every opportunity!!!

After that, i spent 2 years in Hawaii and I had a much better time in cuba...

I guess it was the small town/party all the time atmosphere!!

But you were there in the not so good time...about 6 months after i got there, they started flying dependents and non essentials back to the island...so my experience was probably much different...

but man can they pack some cubes and hatians on that little island!!!

So you were there for the "uprising" then??

7. jekbrown

yeppers, it pretty much sucked. I was also stuck on the other side of the bay...where there wasnt anything other than a few barracks bldgs, the runway, the chowhall and a pos little store.

we usually got 2 weekends off per month... during the riots my plt went about 2.5 months without a single real day off. Needless to say, we were pretty forkin pissed and the cubans did NOT wanna mess with us. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

8. semper-k-five

Right on man!!! yeah, i can remember which side was which..I think it was Leeward side you were on...Winward was definetly the better of the two.

My buddies told me about the riot and how it went down...Atleast you guys got some good medals out of the deal!

9. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

i'm in the navy right now been in for little over 6 years. been into two wars off of the uss carl vinson. desert fox in 98-99 and endering freedom in 2001. when the towers got hit we had just left singapore on the 4th of sep. didn't see land untill 22 dec with only one day off. i'm an aviation ordnananceman and i was a team leader for the arm de-arm cage on the boat. the average work day for me was 20 hours a day on the deck at 0900 untill about 0500. but somedays we got the reagular 12 hour day.

10. semper-k-five

right on man!! them ship tours sure do keep you guys busy...but when you get the port calls, it's all worth it!!!

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i already had to chop the subject!! i'll have to cut out two more letters...i can live with it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, ok. I thought you didn't know you could edit the title. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I take it your out now? I was with 3/9 from 1989-1993, no barracks duty or anything like that. We had one guy that had toured Gitmo before he came to our battalion. I listen to music that we used to play back in the day, and it definately brings back some memories. Semper Fi, Okie.

John

13. jekbrown

only music that reminds me of gitmo is that damnable Ace of Base song... forget the name, their 1-hit-wonder song. Anyway, the cubans must have loved it, cause they blared that chit loud as hell in guantanamo city. I could hear it while standing in post 18 and sometimes from 13 too. To this day, Im not sure if they really liked that crap or if it was their psy-ops troops trying to demoralize me. lol!!!

anyway, yeah, windward had everything, it was a real military base. Had a big ol' px, mcdonalds, lots of people... including women... etc. Leeward didn't have absolutely anything. I probably saw 2 women the entire year I was there. We had no theater, we had no big px... we had nuttin. If i can find it I'll post a picture of what leeward looked like. I'm not usually a "people person" and don't like to live in downtown areas of big cities... but being completely cut off from civilization for a year kinda sucked. lol! leeward is prolly as close as any grunt will ever get to knowing how a navy guy on sub duty feels. On the plus side, it was good for the medal count. I got out with 10 ribbons total, and never fired a shot in anger.

j

14. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Was there in 76-flew in at night on a courier plane, exchanged "greetings" with a sniper and left the next night. It was not a good duty station back then!

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I got out with 10 ribbons total, and never fired a shot in anger.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say you did pretty well--I've seen E6s in the 'corps with less than two full rows before!

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yep; 11 years in, mobilized for OEF, and still got out with only 5 ribbons & medals:

Meritorious Unit Commendation with 2nd award star
    Good Conduct Medal with 2nd award star
    National Defense Service Medal with 2nd award star
    Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with 2nd award star
    Armed Forces Resserve Medal with "M" device

But I did earn my Aircrew wings, so I'm happy.
    [​IMG]