Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any gains from a new cat?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kp texan, Jun 1, 2005.

1. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

I had a new muffler put in my '88 K5 several days ago (Flowmaster single chamber) and my muffler guy told me that I would see a much larger gain if I changed my catalytic converter too because the one on my Blazer was notoriously restrictive. How much truth is there to this? I've searched everywhere on the forum and can't seem to find a straight answer. I was thinking about ordering a 3" Magnaflow cat (94009), which isnt too expensive, and having it put in place of my existing one.

Thanks so much for the help,

Wes

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

stock gm units are till the freeze plug pops out at the frt on the bottom and its run and all the balls fall out.:blush: then pop new plug back in but needs to be steel. or get a honey comb unit like all newer units thay flow better.:cool1:

3. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

free flow cat after market make a huge improvement to the restricted stock type. :cool1:

4. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Well, looks like I'll go ahead and order one. Anyone know if the 3" Magnaflow (Car Sound) model 94009 will do the trick? There would be no air tube to worry about on the '88, correct? :)

Thanks,

Wes

5. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

in a word....YES especially compaired to the stock pellet type. And you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a high flow cat either. I'm not sure if TX has a sniffer test as part of thier inspection process, but if they don't run what I'm running. I have a cat for a late 80's 454 pickup. I has a 3" inlet and outlet along with a honeycomb catalist inside. The price is very reasonable too; I think I paid $95 for mine at Auto Zone.

6. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I have something that resembles a catalytic converter. :D

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Stock cat is so restrictive that for almost a year, I ran my truck without a muffler; just a straight pipe off the cat with a turndown before the axle. Still sounded quite tame...

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Part # 94009 will do the trick, you will see some improvement but it will not be earth shattering. I'd say somewhere in the 5-10 HP range if your stock converter is in really bad shape.

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Whats going on Wingnutt? You overpaid for your cat :crazy: Next time come see me down here in Roanoke and I'll set you up with anything you need for a great price.

10. Tracktor

Tracktor Registered Member

I live out of DEQ range, so I yarded mine. It definitely runs better, however it is much louder......................

11. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Hi Mudfrog, long time no see.

Actually I bought my cat about three years ago, and seeing how everything is made in China nowdays, I'm sure they are a little cheaper now. Speaking of great prices, later this summer or early fall, I may be looking for a cam kit and intake, or maybe an Eldebrock TES (headers) depending on what I decide on. Or you can read that depending on how much $$ I can save up. :D

Right now I'm getting ready to order my Proninator next week or the week after, so I'll be playing with that for a bit. :cool1: Then there's that big arsed air compressor for the shop. :cool1: After I get that, I'll be looking to to add the final peices to the K5 so that next year it will be ready for that ht383. :grin: :grin: :grin:

One more thing, we need to gather up all the K5'ers in the area and hit the trail soon. :k5:

12. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Sounds good. I just finished putting a 6" lift under mine so now I'm set. Between my 8" of lift and fender trimming my 38's are looking kinda small :blush:

Not a whole lot of K5's in our area but my club usually goes somewhere once a month or so.

Oh yea, MagnaFlow Cats are made in the USA, and I can get one of those for ya probably about half the cost of what you paid for the other.. maybe even less.

13. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

I just ordered a Magnaflow cat from Performance Curve today. Seems like the price is pretty hard to beat, especially since they have that free shipping deal going on with Magnaflow products. I'll let you guys know what kind of difference it makes when I replace it. :cool1:

14. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I just put a new cat on my daily driver '86 C10. There's a huge difference. The little 4.3L V6 in there now idles smooth, I've run through about 4 tanks of gas so far, and am getting about 2mpg better (19mpg before is now about 21mpg).
    The old one was soooooo heavy, about 50-60lbs, the new one is just a regular replacment one from a company out east, made in USA btw, and is about 10lbs at the most. It was only about $85. The old one was so full of rust and debris, I could turn it end to end and debris kept falling out and it kept making the noise like there was 20lbs of rust in there.

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Excellent, did you call or go to the website? I was out today with a stomach bug but my brother was there answering the phone.

16. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I took my factory cat off two years ago and have been running a single 3" flowmaster. Are there any performance gains to putting one back on? After I took the cat off, there was a noticeable loudeness in the exhaust but it just seems like the motor has lost some umpf and fuel economy in the last couple of years. Maybe the motor is just getting tired too, 120,000. I'm just wondering if there is any performance gains and fuel mileage gains to putting one back on.