Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any garage door opener guys here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Long story short.

My garage door opener crapped out. I got a nice one out of a garage that was getting torn down. I hung the thing, hooked everything up, and it works perfectly, except that it WON'T GO DOWN UNLESS YOU HOLD THE WALL BUTTON UNTIL THE DOOR IS COMPLETELY SHUT. If you try and use the remote to close the door, something inside the unit clicks. I popped the cover off and it appears to be a little black module on the circuit board that is clicking.

One last thing. The door came with the "electronic eye" sensors, which I never hooked up. Does the door need the sensors to close with a touch of the button or the remote?

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Im no expert...and i havent stayed at a holiday inn express......but I'd say the sensor is a safety that stops the door and/or kicks it back up. So it probably has something to do with it, just hook it up and put it near the opener so nithing blocks it

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

What does your instruction manual tell you? Put the sensors in and see what changes, I bet that's it.

Besides, it's safer for the girls and in case you pass out with your head under the door.

4. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

What model?

I know the ones i just hooked up in our garage wouldnt go down unless the EYE sensors are hooked up- and if u dont wanna mount them on the sides of the door just ductape them facing eachother and stick them somewhere lol

brad

5. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Hey Can-man,

Yes, hook those sensors up. It's all part of the safety system. If those sensors don't complete a circuit, then the door won't close automatically, and you'll have to do like you said about pushing and holding the button.

The way it works is:

Your opener should have a hookup for each of the two sensors. Think of them like an "in" and an "out" hookup. When the sensors are hooked up, the beam they shoot at each other completes are circuit, thus creating a constant signal from the "out" to the "in". If the beam is interupted, the circuit is broken, and the door will not close.

On some models of G-Openers, you can just run a line between the two connections of the sensor hookups, thus completing the circuit and cheating the system. On newer ones, it's a digital signal and that won't work.

Should be an easy fix, good luck!

Al

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Why did you spend money on a garage door opener when you have 3 of them in your house:D .

J/K

My wife has been on my ass to get one of em too.:doah:

Ira

7. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Didnt you read:

8. Can Can

Just so you know, the model I have has only one plugin for both the sensor lines. I just tried to loop the sensor lines together, but that didn't make difference. I'm gonna hook the sensors up tomorrow and try it out. Hopefully that works. Thanks for all the feedback, brothers. :thumb:

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Nope, sorry I'm nearly blind from whacking off.

10. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

That's what I get for bein all scientifical, a redneck fix that will most surely work. :haha:

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As was said, the sensors must either be hooked up and pointing at each other or at the very least the eyes must be pointing at each other and stuffed in the garage overhead somewhere. I just got finished rewiring my garage door after texturing and painting the garage but at first when i was texturing the garage i unhooked the sensors to keep from getting texture all over them and the door would open fine but would not close just made a clicking sound. I then aimed the eyes at each other and tried it again but now the door worked perfectly.

12. Can Can

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I got it working today. Other than dealing with trying to splice those itty-bitty wires together, everything went fine. :thumb:

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Couldn't be any worse than dealing with itty bitty lounge brains on a daily basis. :D

14. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

That's assuming there's enough brain to go around in the first place...