Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Gas powered remote control Truck people out there?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Commocozy, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Looking into buying a 4x4 GAS powered Remote control Truck. I used to have one, but it has been a while and i don't know anything. I found one i like, and was hoping to get some input from more knowledgeable people.

Here is the one i was looking at.
    http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/tmaxx/trx_tmaxx.htm

2. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I've had a t-maxx for a while now. I have crashed it pretty seriously lots of times and it is still going strong. There are lots of mods you can do to it but none of them are very cheap. It can be a real pain to start sometimes, I guess that goes with the territory when you deal with one of these. It's pretty fast, and is extremely cool (especially when you take it out in the snow). 4WD doughnuts are bad ass.

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I want one so bad, but i can't afford one /forums/images/icons/frown.gif.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Big time! Used to race them in Milpitas about 8 years ago, untill the place closed. When I have some extra cash laying around I want to get the T-Maxx.

5. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I used to race for Team Traxxas they are located here in Dallas, ended up running for Team Associated for a couple of years.
    The T-maxx is a good truck but it all depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to race, look at something else. If you want to do the moster truck thing, jump, squash, and general fun things I say go for it.
    One piece of advice though, itf at all possible buy through a local hobby shop, preferably an R/C shop. You might be able to get a better price up front from mail order or internet, but when add shipping handling, ect. it is not any cheaper.
    Second, when you have problems with it, or buy parts, upgrades ect, or just tech questions, your local shop is there to help you, you can't get that by mail, or over the internet.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i used to be into it hardcore, but it got WAY too expensive.

7. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I second that motion. Got too expensive. I have put more money into my r/c habit than I have my 4wd one, including the purchase price of the k5.
    But the Tmaxx is pretty badass. If you are gonna do any upgrading, start with the front lower a-arms, they always were the first to go from hitting stuff. Having a truck that does 30 mph out of the box almost always leads to hitting stuff...and hard, haha.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Depdog is big into Gas RC cars and trucks. Has some pretty killer set ups. I think he does reviews on them somewhere. Might be on ORC.
    I use to be big in to Airplanes. Havent put one in the air in at least 4 years. I should sell that stuff.

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Currently I have just a battery one by Traxxas (Stampede I have rebuilt). I had a gas one but we were being dumb and I smashed into a fence and busted it up so bad (it actualy burnt some and melted the the engine to the frame /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif) I got rid of it. Who knew a plastic truck hitting a metal fence going full on would do that damage! LOL If I could find a decent one for around $200 I could build I'd be all over it.... but all I can find now are sucky ones.... someday I will find one....!! But my advise make sure you are in a very wide open space and don't run into stuff!!

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i use to dink around with em...i had a RC10-GT..it was fast as hell but a money pit...not like my blazer isent! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

They are fun aren't they? I started out with spending about $350 for the (Traxxas) truck, battery, charger and a new engine... then I wanted to upgrade stuff.... just like the Blazer I started to beef it up... the other one I had about $700 into it when it got trashed. I cried! I wish they would offer insurance for r/c cars....!

12. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

with all the little up grades and gizmos i had a little under 900.00 into the RC10-gt...what a watse of money...it seemed to cost me a min of 20 bucks everytime i started the thing