Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any good off road tires for a daily driver

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socalsnake, Sep 19, 2005.

1. socalsnake

socalsnake 1/2 ton status

have a 40 gumbo mudders on my 77 blazer an i ned new tires any good ones for t he price email me nbedford@socal.rr.com

2. Jew Pimpin

Jew Pimpin Registered Member

BFG Muds got on my DD and love em!

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run BFG A/T's. Not the best offroad (good trail/mild rock), but very good on the highway.

4. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

second that. Had em on my blazer for about a year and a half and they have worn pretty good--still have between 1/2 to 3/4 tread left. I Use them for weekend wheeling trips and DD. They're a little noisy going down the highway but nothing like a swamper.

5. Kartoon

Kartoon 1/2 ton status

i just bought 35 bfg mud terrains for my DD suburban and i couldnt be happier

6. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

bfg a/t are said to be bad in the rain since they dont really have channels for the water to excape to.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've never had a poblem with rain. Mud, yes. Rain - no problem.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Good question I want to know this too.

9. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

there was a big thread a while ago about mud king tires. everyone was saying good things about them. i'm prolly gonna be looking for a mud terrain in the spring.

10. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I never had any bfg mud tires. But i can say i did not like the way a bfg at is at all. It is good on the road but that is it and seemed to wear fast compared to other mud tires i've had.

11. socalsnake

hi

wuss up thanx for the response do u know any good off road tire is good then right now i have 40 inch gumbo somethin like that i dunno if u ever herd of them but u have any clue whats good for both worlds on an off road for the price should i stick with forties or go smaller

12. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

how are those tires? worn? i say go with BFG M/T's, i got em and there really good off road and pretty good on road too. i am looking for bigger off road only tires though...i might be intersested in yours if your getting rid of them...

13. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Might check out the Goodyear MTR's.I have 37's now and really like them.They are very quiet on the street compared to quite a few others and work very well everywhere except the thickest,stickiest mud.Even then they are okay,they just don't clean out as well as Swampers.I'm going up to 40's when spring arrives.Check 'em out.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

where in so cal? Get radial tires for a truck you drive alot on street, and depending on gearing and what you do offroad, you could go smaller and may like the advantages such as punchier throttle responce due to lower gears.

15. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Ok I know of some tires not to get! my blazer came with tires called conti-tracks(they look like BFG m/ts). They were new when I got the blazer. I have put about 4500 miles on the blazer since march the tires are now less than half tread depth, And talk about CHUNKING! I havnt even done any major offroading and I am missing some big ol chunks from some of the lugs! One thing for them they do get pretty good traction. I think I might be better of with super swampers :doah:

16. socalsnake

hey

i wanna say to everybody thanx for respondin im pretty new to this site an i wanna thank to all the people who respond an bare with me here hehe but ya like i said i have the 40 inchers i have front an rear lockers with both 12 bolt front an rear with a 6inch lift i have a 383 stroker from what somebody told me the compond what the tires are is ruber syntectic kinda like the military uses an i stated before ther gumbo something an the tread are breakin an wearin down cuz i think the age i dunno how old are they but need new tires an u guess been qreat respond back about your opinions an im pretty new to the 4x4 hobby hehe i want somethin with good tread but woul dlast me on regular conditions but im also wanan get my truck into play time also its a 1977 jimmy like a blazer are jimmys any good just like blazers or no um where can i go get a rollbar for the top

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

1. OK, slow down there son....Take a few extra momments to enter the periods (.) and commas (,) here and there where they need to be. It makes reading someone's post understandable and easier to respond to with the correct info. Don't forget good grammer either.

2. BFG's are out, if you have 40" tires than you probably want tires that are the same size to replace them. Last time I checked, BFG doesn't make a 40" tires in anything but there rock crawler tire, which is out of the question on road.

3. You probably have a set of Denman Gumbo Mudders. have a look at this because there aren't many options from any other tire manufactures with a size that large.

4. There is no such thing as a 12b front axle, you have a 12B rear and a D44 up front, stock anyway.

5. Blazers and Jimmy's are the same thing, just a different grille.

6. Yes you can get a roll bar for your truck, there are tons of options.

18. socalsnake

hi

Sorry if i was typing all wierd. Just doing my Homework and this at the same time. Are Denman Gumbo Mudders any good? Ok so i do have to stick with the same tire size? What brand of tire company does make 40'? ok where can i go to get a roll cage an how much do they usually go for ?

19. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

20. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

BFG's are good tires, but If you want to keep the look and ofroad ability that the truck has now, look at Super Swamper SSR's, Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips, or maybe even some of the new Pit Bull tires. You can get any of these in 38" sizes and they are radials. They will be your best compromise between and offroad tire with street manners. Also, Super Swamper Iroks have a 41" Radial you could check out.