Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any good tranny shops in Portland, Oregon?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by n8brown, Feb 23, 2006.

1. n8brown

n8brown Registered Member

i'm tired of my tranny. i just wanna take it in now. anyone know a good place ot take it?

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Ive used trans parts on 50th and division. Seem to have some pretty sharp folks working there. I rebuilt my own and just went there for parts mostly but they gave me good tips and how too's while i was there.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

BTW where in portland are you?

4. n8brown

n8brown Registered Member

thanks. i'll check them out. or maybe you can help since you re built your own. I've got a 700r4 that won't shift higher than third and is shifting at what seems to be really high rpms. i think that might be why i can't get inot 4th. oh, and i'm in raleigh hills. off scholls ferry. you?

5. wkbrdrob

wkbrdrob Registered Member

I've used Sam's Transmission in Salem, but that might be a little hike for you. Sam's great though!

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

my dad builds trannys and will do it cheaper than most shops. email me and ill give you his number ssmith63332@comcast.net

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I can vouch for mudhog's dad, he knows his sh!t :thumb:

8. bigkennye

bigkennye Registered Member

Tranny

I am in Fredricksburg, Virginia and in need of some tranny work, anyone out there got any recommendations? Feel free to IM me on yahoo, I need all the help an advice i can get with my '81 k5, Thanks

9. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

nathan - unless you swapped again without me, we just put a th350 in your truck, thus you should only have 3 gears. i don't know why it would shift high tho. i wonder, however, if your perception of shifting at high rpms would be because of how loud the 6.2 is - switching from the noise of a toyota corolla to a 6.2 is a helluva difference.

10. colbystephens

i don't know if you'll get many replies in this thread regarding virginia, since the title of the thread refers to oregon, so you might want to try posting up a whole new thread. that being said, what's your tranny and what's your trouble?

11. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

OH YA! I forgot about mudhog's dad! my bad dude. but yea if it is a th350 then you would have only three gears...And if it wasnt valve bodied/goverend for a diesel than it could be shifting high thinking that its behind a smallblock or somthing as they use higher shift points than a diesel

Im in SE around 122nd and powell (5 min off 205 from powell exit)

12. bigkennye

bigkennye Registered Member

can you yahoo me? but the quick description is that fluid went everywhere, even the top of the motor.

13. colbystephens

big kennye - i can't yahoo you. feel free to post up with your questions/situation, tho you might have more luck with getting more responses if you start your own thread.

y5mgisi - i'm pretty sure this was a diesel transmission - it's not the stock one, but it's the one that was in the truck when he bought it (though, that's not really much of a good indication of quality based on other things we've fixed on it. ;) ) any other ideas on the high rpm shift?