Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Guitar players?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 17, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Any guitar players in here? I know we had a thread goin' a while back, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm a gee-tah player, over 14 years. I knew a whole bunch of stuff and could play by ear 10 years ago, but got more involved in other things and let the guitars collect dust more often than not. I've forgotten way too much... In the last 5 years I've probably picked one up about 5 times... In the last few months when money's starting to look tight, it's even crossed my mind to sell a few of my collection...
    I have the fever right now though, and last night, so I'm trying to get back into it a little...

So what are your guitars??

My favorite at the moment is my Fender Tele, it's so easy and smooth to play. I also have an old Applause Electric I bought in '90 that I thought was the best guitar ever made, but tonight it feels really hard to play. I have a couple electrics I left at my mom's house, and a couple acoustics around here. I have a twelve string of forgotten make that I'm dying to play, just never remember to go buy strings for it... I have a Gibson Acoustic signed by Pam Tillis with a broken off headstock... Ebay fodder...

I'm looking for a good site to find Tab (yes, tab, I'm another dummy who wanted to start playing rock and roll and never learned to read music)...

I found some site with tab from a lot of different artists a couple months ago when the fever was on again, but can't find it again. Right now I'm listening to Waylon (RIP), trying to play by ear...

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Re: Guitar players?

Yo, I've been playing for about 2-3 years. Can read music and play by ear... somewhat atleast lol. Everyone says im pretty good, so i'll take their word for it. I have a Yamaha CG100A Classical, a Paco Marin Classical, Ibanez RG series electric, and a really nice marshall 25watt amp.
    Ohh btw my CG100A is up for sale for 150! I bought it for 215 with a case and have picked it up maybe 10 times at the most. Anyway, a good site would be www.olga.net or www.guitarnotes.com each site lets you search song and artist. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Does air count?

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey if I can give you any advice; don't put it down for more than a week! If you do and you're anything like me, you'll pick it up in ten years and say "Damn, if I just gave it a couple minutes a week, I'd be so much better now, and relaxing with it!"
    Do you play classical? I just picked up a CD of Andres Segovia performances, but the sound quality was awful, so I haven't listened to it much. I would love to be able to play that well, to play any classical, but right now I'll stick to trying to play Ramblin' Man by Waylon....

Thanks for the sites, I like the first one, they had a little more music that I was into.

Hey Bubba, can't you play a banjo ya dang redneck??

5. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

I stopped counting at around 15 yrs. I would guess close to 20. Currently I have 2 Ibanez 7 strings, a Jackson stealth pro, a custom made 7 string, takamine acoustic, & an aria pro semi hollow body. Don't ever stop playing, don't ever sell your stuff ( trust me one that one, my collection would be huge). Here is a link to a tab page, like you I can't read a note... completely self taught. http://www.tabworldonline.com

6. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

ramblin man is a great song /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i dont' play guitar. not that talented but then again i never really got into it. lol. i can only play the very begining of louie louie. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif thanx derek(txsizek5 for those that don't know). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif later.

jacob

7. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

I play guitar im still a beginner though.Im looking to go electric for the first time here pretty soon.Do you guys have any suggestions for a not too expensive electric that i can buy and what do you think on amps?

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have been teaching myself to play for about 2 years now, I am a "tabber" but it isn't a bad way to start learning. I play an Ibanez GAX70 and a little Crate amp. That set up with cords and gig bag cost me about $400. Someday if/when I can play, I will get a "nice" guitar. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey what made you go for a 7 string?? That sounds like a pretty sweet collection. I agree with you 100%, I totally regret neglecting playing for so long. I can still pick up and play, and impressed myself being able to pull off a couple Waylon songs by ear last night, but I'd much more like to be able to sit and make music for my own pleasure...

Hey potato, I'm not one to recommend stuff being so far out of the game, but I'll tell you, nothing feels smoother than my Fender Telecaster. If you're still learning, I'd say get something with higher action to beef up your fingers, then when you go with a smoother guitar, it'll be even nicer... Playing my old Applause last night was a little rough, so I think I'm going to stick with that one for awhile, I guess to re-acquaint my fingers, then hopefully I'll be a little faster and more precise when I use the tele...

I have a 1'x1' little box amp for it (that I haven't plugged in in 5 years), can't remember the make and model. My parents bought it for me for Christmas shortly after I got really into electric. I think they actually bought it for themselves... I have a big head unit at my mom's house with two massive cabinets that stopped functioning. When I take over my whole house, I gotta fix that puppy...

10. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I've been playing guitar for about 5 years and bass for two. I have a:
    Dean EVO Special Select
    Dean Acoustic
    CC-Clark electric
    Fender Prescision Bass with Quarter Pounder pickup
    Harkte HA 3500 head
    Hartke 410XL bass cab
    Fender Frontman 25R
    Tech 21 Trademark 60

11. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

I think I've picked up my guitars like 10 times in the past few years. I started teaching myself to play in high school and was well on my way to becoming mediocre. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Then going to college for engineering absolutely crushed any free time I might have had. Now that I've graduated, I'm determined to get back into it.

Axe-wise, nothing fancy. I have an acoustic: Fender Gemini (I think) and electric: Squier Strat (Squier is Fender's own cheap knock-off brand).

The already mentioned tab sites are good. Another one I use alot is Guitar Tab Universe.

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I play everyday. Blues, rock, jazz, classical, you name it, I'll play it. I only have 3 guitars. I own a Vester (Fender put them out of business a few years ago). Best danged thing I ever played and I've had a bunch of them! I also have a Samick accoustic (why pay big bucks when they make most of what's out there anyway??) It plays VERY well. I have a spanish classical that is almost 40 years old. My wife had it worked over last year for our anniversary. It plays mellow and warm, but full of rich tone too. It's by far my favorite. I run my electric through a digitech rp100 processor, a danelectro distortion pedal, and a danelectro chorus pedal. All of that gets plugged into my 100 watt fender "practice" stack at home. I usually plug right into the PA when we play a gig. It blows peoples minds when they see me walk in carrying everything I need in my guitar case and a small tote box! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can't read a lick of guitar music, but I can read it for piano and sax! There isn't a day goes buy that I don't play all three of them for at least 15-20 minutes each. Also, I play different styles so that I don't forget stuff. We play a few covers, but most of what we do now is our own stuff. I do it because I love it. I'd be a rock star if I could!! Anybody out there cut their own demo cd's or anything? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Me and two friends are trying to get a band thing going. I play bass, one guy plays guitar, and his brother plays drums. Things are kind of on hold right now because they are off at school. No vocalist yet. We do have two songs we are in the process of ironing out the bugs though, so we are slowly getting somewhere. I play sax too, though I havn't played it all summer.

14. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I've been playing for aprox 13 or so years. Right now, I have an Ibanez accoustic and an Epiphone electric that I run through an Alesis Quadroverb into a Peavey transtube amp.

I mainly stick with the acoustic because I spend a lot of time outdoors; at the lake, 4-wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, and it's easier to carry around.

I play a lot of blues and rock n roll. Mostly originals, but when someone's in a singing mood, I can hash out some Eagles, Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, CCR, etc.....

I'd have to disagree a little on the putting it down thing though. I've gone through spurts When I am playing everyday, it seems my style never improves, and everything sounds the same. It gets frustrating and boring at times. Then I end up putting it down for 8 months, and when I pick it back up, the sound/style is different. I don't think my own personal style/song writing abilities would be what they are today if I hadn't put it down for a while ... but then again, I could be wrong?

Oh well .... good thread /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Thomas.

15. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Soemtimes you have to just put it down for awhile. I find must self doing it from time to time so I don't burn out, then when you come back you'll find that you play better because you ar'nt burned out.

16. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

The reason I have fone to the 7 string as my main guitar is really pretty simple... diversity. In all actuality you only gain 4 notes, but the things that can be done with an "extra" string are unreal, walking bass lines on your own, 3 octave chords ( requires nimble fingers ), some serious low end rumble, and something that most people are afraid to even pick up!
    Tab is okay if you want to learn something quick and haven't developed an "ear" yet. When I taught myself, all I had was a cassette player and a lot of time. In the long run I would say to learn by ear, because then you actually know the instrument. But knowing the proper techniques is something I wish someone would have showed me. Learning technique on your own is a bitch.
    As for beginner guitars, buy the best thing you can afford. Don't skimp on the guitar, you will regret it. Have the guitar professionally set up at the store. I don't agree with the idea of setting the action high to build streangth. This will teach someone to fret their notes with a ton of pressure. When they actually play something that is set up correctly, every note they play will be bent out of tune and sound like ass.
    Beginner amps are just that. Very few of them sound any different that the others. Get what is in the budget. You will think anything sounds good. After awhile you will know what "tone" is and what "tone" you like. Then proceed to build the system that will make what you want.

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I'll second that!

18. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Cool, i gotta local band started about 3 years ago, we're still jamming. I play drums, have been for about 7 years. We're gonna record soon, so we'll see what happens.

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree with learn by ear, and trying to get some instruction, even if it's teaching yourself by paper. I took lessons for a short time and started learning sheet music, but it couldn't hold my attention span the way actually playing the guitar did. I found myself practicing the short licks I'd learn, and ignoring the sheet music until 10 minutes before the teacher got there...

That's an interesting point on the action, too. I hadn't really considered that. I always found playing higher action then switching to lower action made me play faster and more precisely, and it always sounded better and gave my hands a free-er, more relaxed/capable feeling... lol, at the rate I practice, it could be just that I was warming up on the higher action, re-awakening my fingers...

Any of you guys ever scallop a guitar? I scalloped half the neck on a cheap imitation strat when I was younger, but can't for the life of me remember why.