Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Gun Experts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudFrog, Mar 28, 2003.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for some info on a double barrel shotgun for a friend. The only identification I can find on it is the left side under the hammer it is stamped "J. Stephens Arms and Tools Co. Chicopee Mass U.S.A" I can't find any type of a serial number on the barrel. Anyone have an exact place to look? It looks like a 16 gauge but I'm not 100% on that. It has dual triggers and looks to be about 75 years old.

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Are you sure on the spelling of Stevens? It sounds like an early Stevens-Savage.

John

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

J. Stevens Arms was purchased in 1920 by Savage Arms.

You may get some information from their website.

Good Luck!

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have a gun like that...from what I found on it, gun makers would make guns for hardware stores and put the stores name on them, kinda like a hardware or general store shotgun. It was common during that time...

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have to agree with them. It sounds to be an old Steven's by Savage. I have an old Steven .410-.22lr. It is a kick ass little gun. Good luck finding a serial number. It possibly doesn't have one. I have an old Winchester .22 that doesn't. If it does have a serial it will be on the reciever (the part with the hammers and trigger). It shouldn't be on the barrels anywhere. I would try taking the barrels off and checking for a number in the area where it should break open. Beyond that it would be in a visible place or not have a number. If the barrels do have a number, it is not a number the ATF would honor as the true serial. It has to be on the reciever to be the true serial. The reciever is the only part the ATF actually cares about and considers a gun, so that is why the serial has to be on the reciever to be the true number.

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It did have a 3 digit number on the receiver where it splits open to insert shells. I was looking for a number about 5-6 digits long.