Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any harp players in here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Picked up this little beauty today. Second harp I've bought, and a big step up from the cheapo $6 American Ace model I bought several months ago, but believe it not, I'm still just learning how to play these things. Got this out of necessity after buying a beginning harp book a couple days ago and finding out my American Ace harp's tuned to the wrong key (G, and book's written for use with a C key harp). This one I bought is a C key, so I can actually use the book now.

Anybody else play? I'm wanting to learn to play a melodic instrument now too alongside my drumming.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

With your anime hobby, I was thinking you meant a "harp" when I saw "harp"...

[​IMG]

I don't play, but I love the music (the harmonica-harp I mean)...

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

I mostly got interested in playing harmonica because at the time I bought my American Ace one, I was starting to believe I was through with drumming and wouldn't really ever get the chance to drag my drumset out of my parents house and play on it some more. And also, harmonicas can fit in your pocket, so I could play literally anywhere I wanted.

I've had dreams however of being a character on InuYasha who, like the girl Kagome off the series, is from the modern era and travels back in time to the time period the show is set in (Feudal Japan, circa 1500 AD), taking my harmonica with me however and playing it to the rest of the characters.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

:D I thought you played the skin flute? :D

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

BOOYAH here's my list:

Hohner Big River in E
    Hohner Marine Bands in C, D, A, A
    Hohner Blues Harp in A
    this huge Blue Danube harp with like 24 holes

I like the way the A key sounds if you can't tell... I have one for home, one for the car, and one that sounds better than the other two that I play once in a while...

I've read the books and the websites, but they did me no good, I'm doing better teaching myself without help from anyone... Blues improv is kicking my arse, though. It seems easy to do, you just play whatever you want, but it seems the harmonica is a little more emotional than that. Like I have to be in a bluesy kind of mood to play any good blues stuff, because there isn't a set thing to play like you would a guitar or something else.

Anyway, I don't know how you like your Big River, but I hate mine. It sounds alright, but feels weird to play and the harp doesn't fit in the case very well. I bought Marine Bands for a long time, then I bought my Blues Harp and I might stick with that model now :D

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha:

You wish, queer boy!

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

The Big River I got because I wanted to take the opportunity to step up, and I had no more than $20 to spend, and it came in at $16. Perfect price.

Think I may be starting to agree with you. That maybe harmonica is one instrument that you can't teach to another person. You can only pick it up and learn yourself by just playing and ad-libbing.

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I started playing one when I was still in school (long time ago)
    I've always played a blues harp. I'm a far cry from great but I can play some J. Geils. A few months ago I was in Mich. and the bar I was at had a jam sesion so I thought, what the heck. I had a blast playing on the stage with them. I also play a little guitar but it seemed it was never around when I wanted to play so I picked up a harp.
    That's what I did and if I had a little more time, I bet I could be darn good.
    BTW, I've also been kicked out of bars because of it and once I was jammin while Johnny Winters was playing a concert at a bar. After the show, the manager came up to me and said "We useally don't let anyone play along with the band but you sounded pretty dam good", That put a big :D on my face.