Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any help on replacement steering shafts?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ryanNC, May 30, 2002.

1. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

my rag joint is really sloppy and i've spent so much on making the rest of the steering tight, i feel like i wasted a bunch of money on something i can fix. i've found (flaming river and borgeson) these companys either don't list an aplication or they don't replace the rag joint. i'd like the tightest steering possible so i can feel what i'm driving on instead of wondering everywhere. any help would be thankful!!!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I swaped out mine fer the Borgsen brand one. I ordered the parts seporatly, ujoint coplers & D-slipshaft. The Dslipshaft comes in a general length and must be cut with a hacksaw to the proper size. The mod worked great! I didn't pay extra for the preety polished one so I just painted mine black.
    You can get replacement ragjoints for your stock shaft.
    Oh I feel the road in my hands now. The rag joint is degined to take the road vibes out so when you go to the ujoint style it is way stronger and it also alows all the road vibes to hit your steering wheel. Borgsen does sell a 65dollor anti vibe coupler you can add to the shaft to kill the vibes. It's not that bad for me to worry about but after a 5hr road trip the hands do get a bit tingly....
    Good Luck

3. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I have a 3" body lift on my blazer and the increased angle was just too much for my rag joint. I had a u-joint put onto my stock steering shaft by advanced 4x4 here in SLC for about $35. if you can't find a local shop that can do it I'm sure that they could fab one up for you or at least send you the u-joint with the right end on it so you can do it yourself. I have a pic of the one they made me if you're interested. if worst comes to worst, e-mail me and I could help you out by sticking one in the mail for you.

4. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

burt
    you wouldn't have the part #'s handy do ya...?

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I probly do at home in my recipt box. Borgsen should know what is on your rig from the factory. I'l try to remember to look for ya!