Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any here air bagged?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 55Willy, Apr 26, 2004.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Looking at help on setting up a full system. I have most the stuff just seeing what works better?

rubber vs plastic line
    1 tank vs 2

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

no one is air bagged? how about a punkass neighbor kid??

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I plan on useing air bags on the rear of my El Camino.

4. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

what do you wish to know? most all of the towrigs i have had are bagged. multiple tanks is for show stuff where you are either hiding them or goin bling-bling. don't waste time with anything less than dot grade air line. that plastic stuff you get with airride or airlift is shizzle compared to actual truck line. i ran truck line on mine and never had a problem with it. quick/press connections leak. compression fittings usually don't leak. what are you using for an air source? on board engine driven or electric or what?

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm looking at an electric pump, about 8 gallon tank and rubber line. feeding unkown valves (any ones not to get?)
    and firestone 2500F-2600R, no hoppin or three wheel.

6. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

all the parts i used were hd stuff from semi's. i'd recommend a fairly simple setup for street like:
    four way monitor (digital or 2x2 analog, your choice) for psi in front left, front right, rear and tank
    run a psi level manager on your compressor set at 40 warning, 90 on and 120 off
    use a auto ride height for rear with both bags plummed together and a helluva sway bar
    run dedicated valves for each front bag
    run variable valve shocks like rs9000's
    add a port to the system that allows to back fill the tank from a tire chuck fitting for emergency fills

for a serious road racer i would separate the rear bags. also, make sure that any compressor you choose can sustain output of 4 cfm continous. those light duty or 50% compressors suck.

7. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I know about airbags, what are you putting them on? What purpose, to lay out? Going to be adjusting lots?

8. offroad87

offroad87 Registered Member

www.suicidedoors.com has the best prices on most of your parts. i got a daily driver 93 s10 on airbags.(lays down with 18s on front 20s on rear)i did all the suspension work myself and it works great never had a problem out of it. if i could just get that weak 2.8 v6 out of it i would actually like the truck

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'v already got that site saved as favorites. I'v been gettingmost the pieces off the s10 forum that is sponcered by that site.

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

they are going on a 1940 Chevy Coupe. front is mustang II rear is 4 link'd 12 bolt. I'v got firestone 2500 and 2600 bags.

just to lay out at shows and better ride for a 64 year old car.

adjusting alot? probably not, just dumped when parked and passenger side heavy when racing(pre load)

11. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

sounds like you researched alot already. I'd go with 8 valves, 1 fill & dump per side. I'd get the biggest tank you can fit, around 8 gallons should do. A viair 450 compressor is a good compressor and should do the trick. I bought bags and valves for my S10 but had to sell due to the old ladys tution costs but I had 3/8" SMC Valves with 1/2" opening & 1/2" Air line. I'd go with a F9000 bag since they ride the best in a rear setup, A 2500 or 2600lb would be perfect for the front. Live previously mentioned, when I go to buy my stuff again I'm going to buy from Jason at Suicide doors also.
    Anything specific you need to know?

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

just looking at rubber vs plastic line, one tank vs two (two 5's vs one 8-12 gal)

also the rear I'm using the 2600's cuase of the cost and with them counterlevered for more movement. the rear sway bar will keep everything under control too.

13. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Definetly rubber DOT line. I'd get just one tank, less line, less fittings. The F9000 bags are awesome riding, way better than the 2600lb bags. Sway bar or not I'd get each bag controlled individually.
    I'd check out the sleeve bag from Airlift listed on Suicide doors http://www.suicidedoors.com/products/airbags/airlift-sleeve-bag.htm
    Lots of lift, big port, and cheaper than the 2600lb thats unless you've already bought the bags.
    Any pics of your rod?

14. offroad87

why would you want such a big airtank? i use a 5 gallon with my viair 450 and it all works great. with a bigger tank that means it would take that much longer to fill, that much more space taken up and wouldnt it be more work for your compressor if it has to run longer,in turn getting hotter? im not an expert on this stuff by any means, i was just curious myself.

15. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I personally would rather the compressor run less amount of times for a slightly longer period compared to frequently starting and stopping. Most people in club I was in, before I moved, ran bigger tanks they could be at a show playing with thier switches and not fill up, compared to some members with smaller 5 gallon tanks would hit thier switches a couple of times and wait for their compressor to catch up. Your compressor will run the same amount of time with a 12 gallon has a 5 gallon, because you are using up the same amount of air, with a bigger tank it will just take longer to fill but not has frequent. I was only suggesting to run the biggest tank you can fit, if you can only fit a 5 gallon then thats all I would have but if you have the room, maybe between the frame rails or something, then I would get has big as you can. He doesn't seem to be such a big deal since I think virtually all compressors worth looking at are 100% duty cycle.
    Just my take on things.
    Do you have any pics of you ride offroad87?

16. offroad87

no, i dont have any pics, i still need to catch up with the rest of the world and get a scanner or a digital camera. my s10 looks like crap now due to the 93 paint that chips off when you bring it to the car wash. im sellin the truck in about 2 months when my buddy comes back from iraq. hes plannin on a v8 swap and new paint.

17. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

buddy of mine has a 95 S-10 on bags. he runs a 5 gal tank with dual compressors. he wanted to keep a small tank and running two compressors keeps the refill time to a minimum.

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I already bought the bags, I got a smokin deal on all four (2500 front-2600 rear)
    I'll see if i have any pics on this computer.
    I'm redoing it, so it'll be changing over the coarse of the next year and be ready for Redding next April.

the list:
    new frame
    mustang front
    4 link rear 12 bolt
    rear disc
    bags
    fuel cell
    383 destroker
    suicide doors
    one piece door glass
    reshaped tail pan and rear fenders
    /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

pic of 40

19. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Sounds awesome, 2600lb bags will still ride good. How are you mounting them in the rear? On the 4 link bars would give the most lift and ride good. Also behind the axles such as this http://www.suicidedoors.com/products/s10_bag-bar.htm ride the best from what I've heard and also keep the bags low and outta site. over the axle is the easiest but rides the worst.
    You rod sounds awesome, I'm going to build one here after I get the blazer out of the garage but I think mine will be styled tradionally, 354 hemi, strombergs, wide whites, solid axle with the thing almost laying on the ground.

20. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm using the stock chevelle lower control arms for the rear end. so I can build a mount off of them for the bags. I don't have a trunk(fuel cell and battery) and the back seat is no longer(wheel tubs). So the upper mount will be no problem. I'm also gonna be running 17"s in the front and 18" in the rear.
    in that pic it was sporting a 73 truck frame with a camaro rear end and camaro front clip. the 355 i had in was then put in my brothers blazer. I going a new stock frame and mustang front to make it cleaner and lighter. also a 12 bolt with the 68-72 trailing arms linking it.