Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any hikers in here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Aug 20, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my venture crew just did the narrows in zion, awesome trail! you're waking in a river the whole time (trekking poles almost required) and you walk back up the canyon where it's only about 10' wide in places. it's 14mi total but you need back country permits for the last 6-7mi of it. and we didn't have time to do it all anyway. who's done any hiking in zion nat'l park? if so what trails?

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Aww man, I haven't been to Zion in years. We just hiked along the outer edge of the park. We also hit Bryce the same day, freakin' awsome /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif If you ever have time head up to either Craters of the Moon Park in Idaho or go to Lava Tubes National Monument in the NE corner of Cali., the landscape is unreal. I may head to the Grand Canyon this fall when I head over to Phoenix for work.

3. muddysub

yeah i was gonna do rim to rim of the grand canyon, but it fell through. i also missed my chance at philmont this year cuz graduation got in the way. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. muddysub

i have a new found passion for canyoneering. i did a trail in zion called "subway" and it got me hooked. 9mi of slickrock and canyon that's 3' to 30' wide. there's one part where you have to swim under water and go through a hole in the rock to get through. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and a few parts where you can slide down waterfalls, awesome hike!! probably the best hike i've ever done! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. glencanyonexplor

glencanyonexplor Registered Member

My name says it ALL! you can spend a life time hikeing the slots of Glen Canyon and never see them all !

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Ive climbed a few of the walls in zion. its messed up now they got that shuttle bus thing now. Its great for wild life and over crowding, but to climb you have to camp out to start early and carring all that gear on the bus, question after question. I just worry about safty, if someone got hurt climbing you might have to wait a while to get out for help when the park is closed.

7. muddysub

hmmm. never been to glen canyon, where is it?

8. muddysub

yeah it's fun taking all your gear up on the shuttles! "what's that do?" "you mean you hang on something that small?!" and "those cost HOW much??!" it's a fun ride all the less adventerous people are amazed by you. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I like to go around Desolation Wilderness and hike up there. Very cool and nice area....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Big time hiking nut here...........here's a nice little pic looking DOWN on the clouds from the upper reaches of Mt. St. Helens...........that's Mt Adams in the pic......we live 20 minutes from the Columbia River Gorge....................with over 50 killer hikes, and 45 minutes from Mt. Hood, another awesome hiking/climbing spot.
    [​IMG]

11. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Been hiking all my life. Still make at least one trip a year. Planing the next trip in october to soap creek wash on the colorado river. This place has the best trout fishing!!

Mike

12. glencanyonexplor

glencanyonexplor Registered Member

Glen Canyon is the Canyon that Lake Powell flooded,but there is still more above the water then you can ever explore !