Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any homebrew ways to get bearings off a carrier

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Apr 27, 2007.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I don't have a bearing separator set nor do I want to buy a set (and no parts store near me rents them...I give up!)since I will never use them again. Are there any home brew ways to get the bearing off the carrier with out totally destroying everything? I would like to keep the shims intact for the new locker I am installing and sell the old LSD.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if u are not worried about saving the bearing, u can knock the ring & rollers off. then take a cutoff wheel & score the race on both sides. then take a BFH & a chiesel & hit it in the score & it will split, then u can pull it off by hand or it will break in 2 & fall off.

the deeper u score it the easier it will break.

p.s. wear saftey glasses. at least when u hit it, races are very hard & will chip.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What about an air chisel behind it ? Seen it done that way before .

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I cut them with a cutoff wheel then once the bearing material is really thin I either press them off or hammer them off. Just be really careful not to cut the carrier (it won't ruin it, but it will increase the chances that a bearing will spin on that journal).