Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any HP chevy Gurus around

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevidog, May 3, 2002.

1. chevidog

chevidog Registered Member

Can anyone give me an accurate figure for what my heads might be worth. I have a set of 414 heads on a 383 and the vehicle might be going up for sale. The vehicle itself isn't that special, and I don't want to give away a set of rare heads with it. What I have found is that they were produced from 64-70 and were used on Z/28 camaros and LT-1 corvettes. They are 64cc chambers and they have the big valves.

When I went to get the motor built, I brought extra heads and a block to trade for some of the labor. The owner of the shop asked to make sure which heads I wanted to use on the rebuild, even though I had already said. Then after I described them by casting number he replied, "yeah, those are some pretty rare heads." Guy prabably would have snagged them if I didn't know the difference.

Anyway just thought i'd ask to see what comes up. I wouldn't be selling the car if I didn't need the money, and if I can get a premium from some guy restoring a Z/28, cool. Or if it turns out they aren't that rare, I won't feel so bad about selling that motor with the car.
    Thanks in advance for the info. This site rules!

By the way, the motor screams like a champ. I love chevy power!

2. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

By what I was reading I think those heads were used on 327's and some vette 350's

they might be valuable to someone who is restoring a L-79 nova of that vintage or a corvette.. thats the only thing I can come up with.. as to cost they could be worth alot to the right person

i will ask my friend if he knows anything..

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Go here www.mortec.com

Post the heads on here and see what price ranges they will give you. But, assume that they will low ball you on the price. If someone is restoring a Nova and wants number matching heads I'm sure he'll pay top dollar for them.

4. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

If they were used on 327's and 350's then they were not out of a Z28 camaro (assuming year is 67-69) since they all had 302's. Possibly later model Z28's though, not sure.

5. chevidog

chevidog Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure about the 302s, but I believe the heads were on the 70 z28, 350. From what I have read, they were used on 360 and 370 horse engines. Pretty damn good flowing heads. I appreciate the responses. I will check out that site too.

6. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Are these similar to the "camel back" heads people talk about? I had a set of 2.02 camel backs that my uncle gave me, rebuilt and everything. Stupid me gave them to my shop teacher when I was in high school. Oh well.