Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any I-6er's out there?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Sep 19, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Any I-6er\'s out there?

Just wondering, we always seem to talk about SBC, BBC, diesels, and even big Caddies, I know some of the earlier K5's ran in-line 6's (maybe this was only 2WD?). Is any one running a I-6 in a K5? What type of milage and performance are you getting? Just thought it'd be interesting to find out.[​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Re: Any I-6er\'s out there?

We run a '67 long bed with I-6, 250 cu inch, 3-speed stick, 4x2, 240,000 miles with one rebuild. 15-16 mpg highway and 13-14 in town. Very reliable.

3. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Well when I can drive in 2 years I will be driveing a 81 GMC pickup with a 292 I-6 so I don't know anything about how it runs but thats what I'll be bumming around in.

[​IMG]Inline 6's make a lot of noise[​IMG]

4. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I had a 3.0 L I6 in my 95 Supra Twin Turbo ~480 hp @ 21 PSI All Day Long.................[​IMG]

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska

5. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I've always wondered why Chevy didn't put an I-6 in the Blazers. Ford put that 300 I-6 in a lot of their bronco's and they sold like hotcakes. I have always thought that a blazer with an I-6 wouldn't be that great for pulling a trailer but crawling around the trails and in town it seemed like they would be great.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i have a wheezed 230 i6 in my 65 malibu. it may not be a dragster, but it will go all day long.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I ran a 300cid I6 in a 85 Bronco that I drove for almost 10 years and loved it.I towed all kinds of trailers and boats. I built it with Headers,holly 4 barrel,clifford manifold,high torque cam,malory ign,heads were ported and engine balanced and lots of other mods. It is hot,fast and reliable.It got about 15 mpg and ate V8s for lunch!
    I sold it after I bought my 89 K5(Got tired of Fords and had to come back home to GM).I run into the fellow I sold it to now and then and he's very happy with it
    If anyone is thinking of building a inline 6. check out these guys:

Cliffordperformance.com
    Lots of good speed parts for most all inline engines

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The inline 6 (mostly 250s, but with a 292 available some years) was standard in Blazers from '69 until '84. Not too many were sold that way, since the V-8s were a cheap option. In '85 and '86 the base engine was the 262 (4.3l) V-6, and starting in '87 you could only get a 350. Seems like a lot more pickups got the 6s, probably farm trucks, and old timers who were used to those stovebolt motors.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Would the sale liticure that someone has on-line verify that the 6 was standard, and the V8 were options,
    or is it possible that the V8 was standard and the 6 was an option ?

10. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Executioner, according to the "specifications" section on this site the in-line six was considered the standard engine on 69-86 K5's. During those years the V8 was the option, and was made standard in 87. I agree with Blazer1970, the V8 was cheap enough that most K5's were ordered with the V8. It might be something to consider for some people, great reliability, better gas mileage, easy to find/work on, just wondering how they did on the performance department.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Executionar,
    According to the sales literature for a 75' K5, it says both the I6 and the 350 are standard for K5s and C5s. The 400 was the option that year. I would assume more 350s were made for K5's since I never really hear anyone with a I6 in their K5. But here is a link of it. I have this on my web page. http://theboss.coloradok5.com/cgi-bin/i/images/page8.jpg
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

12. Executioner

Thanks, but um having two engines as standard equipment, is that the GM way ?
    I was under the impression that only one engine is standard and all others are optional !
    Is it possibly that the sales lititure is not correct ?

13. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hey man, that is as fact as I can get it. I'm not sure what GM was trying to do by saying there are 2 standards back then. I first thought that I6 was standard for 2WD and the 350 was standard for 4WD, but then when I took another look, it said I6 and 350 was standard for both. So, I don't know if the sales literature if fact or wrong, but I guess I can live with it since this really doesn't concern me. Anyways, I checked my vin# and it tells me that my K5 came with a 350. Who knows, it could be wrong too. But it definately has a brand new crate 350 in it now.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

14. Executioner

Ok, who knows what was happening back in the 70's