Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any idea on a suicide front end kit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kider, Jun 14, 2004.

1. kider

kider Newbie

i was at a 4x4 show at our local dunes... i saw a k5 there that had a neat thing.. he had a suicide front end. the hood opened up like a corvette and brought the fenders with it exposing the entire engine.. something like that would make a truck easier to work on i would think if it were up on 37 inch tires. =P any idea where i could get one.. or would i probably have to fab it myself..

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you mean the whole front end tilted? or did the hood go up and then the fenders could follow?

3. kider

kider Newbie

the entire front end body tilted forward exposing the motor and the frame... so the hood and the fenders were all one piece.. tilted forward.. yea.. you should get the idea now..

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Pretty sure Cyber-whatsit did that with his new front clip narrowing job... the olivedrab truck with the black tiger stripe/flame motif.

Not uncommon to cut at the back of the front quarters ... you can get fiberglass kits for this from US Body Source or do it yourself a las the truck above or

Chuck has a thing about it.

-- A

5. kider

kider Newbie

thanks for the info =)

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Cybrfire, did it, he has a narrowed front end but the same principle could apply to anyone.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

how about like this.

[​IMG]

or that

[​IMG]

Hinge is also a winch mount so I needed the steel there anyway. Hinge pins are bolts that allow me to adjust the front end side to side and line it up when I pull the front end. Still got to do a grill yet but I've started drafting it and thats where it sits now.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

cybr, that really is looking good /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Just curious everyone, what is the advantage of tilting the front? From what I can see it would be harder to work on anything under the hood? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Actually it makes most tasks under the hood easier. You can just plop down on a tire and change plugs or whatever. I've been doing some rewiring for the headlights and such and so far I really like it.

12. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

theres a guy selling one on ebay

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually it makes most tasks under the hood easier. You can just plop down on a tire and change plugs or whatever. I've been doing some rewiring for the headlights and such and so far I really like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, I forgot the fenders came with it, I was imaginationing the hood flipping forward blocking your way, then the fenders in the way on the sides. But the way you have it, it would be awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I am in a toss up on the whole idea, when I originally finished my 75 blazer I wanted to go this route but the way I see it..

the truck has a huge tire that stops you from doing much of anything, you have to lean over it, when the truck is that tall and with a tire in the way there is just no easy way to do it, I wound up using no inner fenders, 2.5 inch back spacing and plenty of tire clearence, I could just lean in and do what ever.

no however since my front is narrowed so much, I can undo 4 bolts and toss the whole front end on the ground, I can take the radiator with it, or leave that part. I also use a home brew radiator support that is more that stong enough so it all works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

before I had to put the edge of my tows on the bumper and lean over or stand on a tire..more that once that left the ribs hurting when I slipped /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

how about a light weight 1 piece front?

I dunno, just no easy way to it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif