Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any ideas on a soft top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TxBlzr, Apr 7, 2000.

1. TxBlzr

TxBlzr Registered Member

i want a top for my 91' k5 and would rather not drill holes... top needs to go over rollbar please help... thumper if you read this i would like some specs.
    e-mail me if any ideas or just post.. jarrlittle@yahoo.com

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hi there, I really should write an article detailing how I did mine I guess! I dont really have any specs on my top, other than using an old topper I got hold of for a frame. That way there arent any holes in the body except for the tailgate. I built the rollbar for looks, cut and bolted the old frame to the truck and dropped it off at the local shop and told them what I wanted, and showed them a rough drawing. They did the rest. I talked to the shop recently (because of the interest in the top on this site) and they said they didnt really use any specs either, it was mostly made as required to fit over what I had built (the rollbar and frame). If you want the measurements of the bar I can probably get them for ya, but other than that, I can put the hardtop back on over the bar, and it fits very close to the sides and top of the topper. I will probably gather some pics and get busy and write an article for Steve to post if there is interest... Well Steve? [​IMG]

Good luck
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

3. Kennedy

Kennedy Registered Member

Find someone in your area that makes custom covers for boats. A friend of mine went down to a woman's shop and she measured up his truck, drilled the body for the snaps, and made him a cover out of a black waterproof matterial and even included a window for about $300. When I get one, I will first make some sort of attachment for the sides-something I can bolt on where the hard top bolts, and drill that for the snaps. I don't want to put any holes in my truck.

If you go this route, you can have the soft top custom made to fit with your roll bar.

David 1989K5

4. TxBlzr

TxBlzr Registered Member

thanks thumper i have a question though did you get the shop to make the fabric on the top?

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

The fabric they used I picked out of a huge book. Its actually tonneau cover material, I got it in dark blue. Its waterproof, guaranteed not to fade or crack, and is very easy to put on and take off. The windows are plastic... not sure how thick, but it comes in clear, light tint or dark tint. I had them sew zippers into each side from the tailgate up to the bar, I can roll the back, the sides, or both. They also made a sleeve that closes with velcro around the rollbar itself to reduce flapping, and to let me leave the sides and back rolled up in a bikini type top.
    The grand total was $400.00. I love it and it works great.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>