Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any ideas on how to remove tacky glue from instrument panel...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kwcdawgfan, Feb 22, 2001.

1. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

My 73k5 had a cheapo wood grain cover glued to it and I removed it last night with the intention of painting it black... Problem I am having is getting the glue off... Tried finger nail polish remover and have it soaking in mineral spirits right now... Hope that works but if not could use some ideas....

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about the type of glue, but WD40 takes off about anything off of paint, not sure about plastic. The only other thing I know worth a crap is GOO or OOPS. Can get either at store for cheap, and it has numerous uses around garage and house.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

3. bushwacker

bushwacker Registered Member

Try goo gone or citrusolve, both work great and are probably the same as previous post but named differently in diff parts of the country.

4. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

If those don't work, try some 3M Adhesive Remover. I think the Ace Hardwares carry it. If you are using it on plastic, test some on a hidden part first to make sure it doesn't melt the type of plastic you are removing the glue from.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i used "goo off"
    it worked great. it was to put it on the rubb off, untill it comes off. i put it on, let it sit, then i came back and rubbed it, it was easier.
    but REALLY easy removal would be to use acetone.
    pure acetone is bought at lowes by the quart or gallon. fingernail polish remover is like 75% acetone. and it works too.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/confederatek5/>http://www.geocities.com/confederatek5/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]