Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Idea's ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by my88texastruck, Nov 7, 2006.

1. my88texastruck

my88texastruck Registered Member

Here's the deal... Went out to start my truck - '88 TBI 350 - to go home from work the other day. Truck starts up fine then all of a sudden lugs way down rpm wise - guages and radio go haywire and it stalls. :confused: I say. So I try to start it again - truck starts and now I smell a hot/burning electrical smell. So I shut it down and open the hood to find the positive cable from the battery to the starter "welded" itself to the heat shield on the manifold. I disconnected the neg. cable, pryed the pos. from the shield, taped it and re-routed it. All was fine before that - but now I have a misfire upon starting it cold. After it warms up, it idles fine. Would/could a short like this affect the ECM or any sensors? No SES or codes set. After new plugs, wires, cap and rotor it is still there. Any idea's??

Thanks in advance!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What kind of voltage are you getting to the *fuse panel* now with it running?

Do you get the code 12 when you check the codes? (IE the check engine light still works?) That's a ROUGH test that the ECM is ok.

3. my88texastruck

my88texastruck Registered Member

Not quiet sure on voltage to the fuse panel but everything works as it should. Guage on the dash shows 13+ volts running. Yes, I checked for codes - only get the "12 flash". I think I'm going to replace the cable though - it was'nt burnt bad where it shorted but I'm sure it creates a little more resistance now.