Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any ideas??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rustbelter, Nov 8, 2000.

1. rustbelter

rustbelter Registered Member

hey ya'll...
    i've got quite the rust problem on my 87 and i'm in need of some info. my cab corners (those corners by the lower seatbelt mount) are on their way out. they're so bad, in fact, i've lost the passenger side seatbelt mount. i know for a fact that lots of blazers have this problem, yet i never see aftermarket corners for sale. anyone out there have a source for these repair panels or a way to "backwoods engineer" it?
    thanks

2. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Try visiting your local wrecking yards. They'll often sell you a patch panel. If there are any self-serve yards with Blazers, go down there with some snips, a hack-saw, and a hammer and chisel. Be carfeul as freshly cut sheetmetal is just as sharp as a razor blade. Good luck.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine were gone too. I fabbed up a couple of corners for mine out of 10 guage steel (.133") Roughly 12"x20" and bent it not quite 90 degrees, with one leg being 8" and the other 12". The 8" leg becomes the new wall part that the seat belt anchors to. The 12" part is the new floor part, and is wide enough so that it ties into the support underneath. On the 'wall' part I drilled a hole in the same place as the old seat belt mount and then welded a nut on the backside. That way I can anchor my seat belt and I don't need someone under the truck with a second wrench.
    As a bonus I now have a real solid place to mount my future roll bar[​IMG]
    Hope that helps.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. mudpuppy89k5

mudpuppy89k5 Registered Member

I just got a catalog from a restoration company called YearOne. They mostly have stuff for muscle cars but have just come out with a Chevy truck catalog. On page 75 they have aftermarket, replacement floor pans that look like it could be modified to fit a Blazer. The description reads "Rear outer floor pan. Fits between the seat tracks and the door, turning down to the rocker panel. Panel extends from the front of the seat to the rear of the cab. Measures 43" long by 7" wide". It looks like the lip at the back of the cab could be trimmed to fit. It might be worth a phone call to find out (1-800-932-7663). They're $32.95 a side. They carry a lot of other replacement body panels as well.

Evidently the catalog is pretty new and right now it's free. I ordered mine at www.yearone.com. Hope this helps.

John Perry
    http://www.mudpuppy.coloradok5.com/