Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any ideas ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grunt11b40x, Nov 10, 2003.

1. grunt11b40x

grunt11b40x 1/2 ton status

got a 350 and the push rods are bending. swapped out rockers for the tall ones and they are still bending. the rockers are not riding on the valve stem they are canted to the right or left side if the valve stem and some of them pop off the valve totally to the side of the spring. I paid a shop good money to rebuilt it and now they are telling me it's not their problem. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How much seat pressure do you have? Are you using hardened tip pushrods?

3. grunt11b40x

I am using standard push rods the one you get from the auto stores. the engine builder told me he put a truck/rv cam in the engine but that it did not require different springs. I think that it may have coil spring bind. the oil is coming out of the push rods which leads me to believe the lifters are working. I just don't have a clue what could cause the problem I have replace the pushrods twice and went to the taller rockers.

4. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How are you adjusting the pushrods? If they are too tight it will cause more problems than bent pushrods /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif(broken cam, flatened lobes, broken rockers........)

5. grunt11b40x

just taking the slack out of them and then a half turn more.

I guess I can do any worse that the shop did because they installed the engine. lol

6. grunt11b40x

Re: any ideas ? found the problem

well I have found the problem with the bent push rods. The shop put a set of targetmaster heads on and the holes for the push rods were enlarged so they would wobble under load. Had to get self alineing rocker arms from a 97 vortec 350 to fix the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif