Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Imput Or Advice?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 58 apache, Aug 27, 2006.

1. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

i have a 1958 apache front halfed with k5 4x4 running gear. 400 SBC mild build real th350, np208 10 bolt front and rear front discs rear drum power steering. all right here we go. i am in the process of making this a daily driver. a friend and i built it a few years back and he knew way more than me we skimped on some things and i want to make it the best i can now for a daily driver. mild off road use i am buying a old airstream 20ft and gonna cruise america and mexico. the engine is a fresh build. tranny needs rebuilt but as i understand is a great tranny,pre 73 vaccuum only. should i go to 12 bolt? i plan on maby a 33 or 35 x12.5 tire size? what gear ratio? what brand? remember primary street and towing 4x4 to get unstuck and into rural areas. i want to upgrade to disk brakes in the rear is that a big deal? especially if i am getting a new rear. do i have to change anything? what about a 4 inch lift? kinda soft springs? we put 3 body to clear frame. is the 208 a good transfer case? can it be rebuilt seems to be leaking.opinions on doing a bowtie overdrive 700r4 stage 2, a np 205, dana 44 front and a 60 rear with 410's? 6 hole rims?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

what tranny do you have? what gears?

no real benefits of the 12 bolt over your current 10 bolt, i would probably regear it though, as its likely got 2.73s or 3.08s in it. neither are good for tires that would look decent on the truck, or pulling power.

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I can't help but wanted to tell you I like what I see and the whole reto thing with the A.S. is da bomb (they still use that term?).

4. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

has a pre 73 th350 tranny. dont know the gears

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

would be very helpful to know...

6. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

i am getting new dana 60 and 44 with 410's and a np 205? and upgrading to a 700r4? 4" lift soft spring? any advice on this combo or where to get parts. i like the BOWTIE OVERDRIVE STAGE 2

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

what trans does it have in it now? a 700R4 would probably be a waste of money at this point, because you dont want to tow in overdrive. a 20' travel trailer could be a pretty considerable load. also, are you sure you want to lift it? to be a good stable puller, you definitely want a low COG, lifting isnt going to help that at all.

it looks like you've got 33s on it now, is that right? with a reasonably built trans (TH350 or TH400), you'll probably be just fine with the current size tires and 3.73s. no matter what trans you put in it, a big trans cooler is a must, and a trans temp gauge isnt a bad idea at all.

8. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

it has a no lockout 350 th now. i will not be towing all the time and its not that much more to go to a 700r4 than rebuild my th350 it has 31"s would like 33 or 35's mostly for the aggressife look i think it would give this truck. i might only need 2" of lift but i would def like 33 or 35x12.5. how do i determine what gears i have?

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

pull the cover on one of the diffs, and count the teeth on the gears. divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion gear.

example: 41 on the ring gear, 11 on the pinion...

41 / 11 = 3.73

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

my tow rig has a vacume gauge. i have more vac in 3rd than 4th when towing.more vacume is better fuel milage. plus the fact less lugging on the motor. and you should not tow a 700r in overdrive. my truck has the bigger 4l80-e in it. i can getaway with a bit more than a 700r. but for all out heavy loads mine dosnt see overdrive.

a well built 350 non lockup or a 400 will be just fine. you dont want lockup convertor in a heavy duty tow rig. if you are realy set on heavy duty and overdrive. then swap in a nv4500 stick shift.

11. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

can you take a 700r4 out of overdrive? like on my 04 with a button or something? only towing like 4000 lbs max

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

P-R-N-OD-D-2-1

yep, sure can.

13. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

OH MY HELL! I just looked at the picture you posted and about died. Except for the paint, it is nearly identical to my 1956 Chebby shortbed stepside with the small back window. I was wanting to know if you used the original frame or a newer frame and mounted the body on it? Also, how did you do the power steeing? I have power brakes, but still have the old armstrong steering that I would love to lose. Oh, and I used the original frame and everything just bolted up. I rearched and used the original 56 front springs. I had to fabricate drop brackets for the transfer case crossmember and turn and shorten the steering drag link, but it was like installing a kit.
    My 56 has the drive train out of a 72 Jimmy (4 speed sm435, NP205, 12 bolt rear and Dana 44 front). My gear ratios are now 3.08 but soon to be changed to full floating 14 bolt in rear and D44 front with 8 lugs and 4.10:1 ratio. I will be doing a lot of towing with mine and would recommend you also get the 3/4 ton axles if you are towing a good size trailer. 33 inch tires go well with 3.73's but use a 4.10 at least for 35 inch tires while towing. A limited slip works well if you are towing anywhere in the snow, but stay away from a locker on snowy roads. They are downright scary in the snow.
    I think your truck looks nice the way it is, but if you want 33's I wouldn't lift it more than a couple of inches. I just used longer shackles in the front and a 2 inch block in the rear. Or you can do a shckle flip in the rear. My understanding of shackle flips is that it doesn't effect towin at all. If you used a later model frame you could use one of the Off Road Design flip kits. They are easy and inexpensive and I think it would probably be better for towing than blocks. If you used the original frame I have an old article I can give you from a club called The National Chevy/GMC Trucking Club that shows how to do a shackle flip on old trucks. Yes, believe it or not, ORD was not the first to do the shackle flip. Members of the above mentioned club were doing flips back in the late 70's and early 80's. Anyway, I agree with Beater K20, you don't want a huge lift if you are going to tow a lot.
    Some people will tell you soft springs are bad for towing, especially in the rear. But they now have systems such as the Super Springs that don't change the ride at all until you put a load on your truck. Super Springs can be found on the internet.They cost about $230 and work really well on my friends truck.
    A well built 700r4 is a beautiful thing. Yea, you don't tow in overdrive with them, but it's sure nice to have the OD when there's nothing behind you. I have an NP205 in two of my rigs, the 1956 and my 72 Blazer. I've never had a 208 or 203 so I can't comment on them, except to say I sure love the 205. Other than a little leakage on the driveway that was easy to fix with a reseal kit I've never had a lick of trouble with them.
    It was cool to see someone elses early Chebby project. Great work! Let me know how to do my power steering will ya?

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

203s kinda suck. you can still get a conversion kit to convert it to part time, but its still HUGE and chain driven. i've got a line one a 400/205 for my K20.