Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any instances of gov lok breaking under street driving instances ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Sep 21, 2002.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

anyone know of any instance of a gov-lok 12 bolt failing under street(dry or snow) driving instance ? what is correct fluid additive to use in one? one bottle of GM posi fluid good to use ?

thanks

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I broke one in a 12 bolt on an '81 K10 I had once.

I was just driving down the street, about 25 mph, and CLUNK!! The rear driveshaft fell off and the truck skidded to a stop.

Upon inspection, I saw the pinion yoke was missing from the rear and the pinion was pointing up higher in the housing than normal.

The yoke was still attached to the driveshaft. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I simply locked the front hubs and drove the truck to a friends house, about 3 blocks away, and parked it there to swap in a different 12 bolt a few days later.

After I got it back on the road again, I took the bad rear out to my folks farm and tore it apart to inspect the internals.

The Gov-Lock was history, as was the ring and pinion since when the yoke fell off, the pinion had tried to exit the housing and locked up the ring gear instead. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Here is the remnants of my Gov-Loc, It broke a few days ago as i was leaving for school.

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

My brother broke his going around a croner in the rain.
    "I didn't even spin a tire" he says. I say "Ya, this time!" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    You gotta love that sound,
    you know its coming,
    but then when it does happen!
    BANG, CLUNK, WWWEEEEE, EEEERRRRRRRRTTTT! HAHA! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Holy SH!T!!!!!

5. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Mine broke going around a corner. Made the corner after a stop sign and it went to pieces.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

crap.. thats not good hmm

what year was beginning of gov lok and end of eaton posi ? i know 72 was stil eaton posi, what happened after that ??

thanks

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Shoot when mine blew up it sounded EXACTLY like that! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Just get one with an open carrier and put on of those drop in lockers in.

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

My 72 had a gov lock in it! It was a leter axle though. I belive 72-73to like 96. But who knows for sure what the General does! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    If you put a lock right in the rear of your truck, zcarz. Be very carful on the street. I've seen them crack the carrier housing completely in half. So use the force Luke! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif