Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any insurance agents out there?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ratzila, May 15, 2005.

1. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I saw this recently on this site http://www.godmudders.com/ It says that insurance companies will not insure any modified vehicles . I have state farm and will check
    with them this week.

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

They'll insure them, but if you total the truck, they give you blue book only. They do not pay you for the mods you did unless you get custom car insurance and get your truck appraised.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what he said. I lean towards, its best just not to tell the insurance company. In reality how many insurance agents ever see the vehicles they insure? If they don't see it, they don't know.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

and if they dont see it, and you total it, you're screwed. double edged sword...

5. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

When I had the 91 blazer someone had slashed one of the 44" boggers. I took the estimate to the insurance co. and they wanted to see the tire because of the cost $450.
    They paid for it and they never saw how high the truck was lifted :D They don't know the suburban is lifted for 44" boggers and the 4runner is also lifted but only for 35" tires :rolleyes:

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know they do things different in Indiana where your mother is your grandmother...

But if you have receipts and full coverage insurance they've got to pay for it. If they total it they give you blue book. If you have no receipts or proof it was there then they only have to pay for stock replacement.

So, therefore, if you have a modified vehicle that is worth a fair amount of coin it is in your best interest to have it appraised and insured for that amount. And you keep an up to date file with photographs and receipts at your insurance company. However, the insurance is going to cost you money. And many insurance companies are getting out of the business of insuring "off road intended" vehicles.

For most of us under 25, such insurance is astronomical. By the time we get to 25 we could've built another rig with the insurance money.

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Dont listen to ANYTHING that they say or have written on their site.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I could have built a full tube buggy for what I paid in insurance the last 2 years. :mad:

9. CyberSniper

Yeah, I know what you mean. I paid $360/6 months of PLPD on my wheeling rig. And it's registered as a 1987 longbox fleetside 2wd with a tree-oh-five.

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, here's my big dumb story:

My dad needs a sh!tload of insurance since he's a doctor so he buys a huge policy and I use an extension of his plan to get my trucks insured. I went in to insure my trail truck and asked for basic liability and if they had any reduced coverage amounts like some companies do for weekend drivers. (I think some companies call it compulsary or something close to that) Since I'm 18 and have a speeding ticket for 15 over, my insurance is about as high as it gets without a DWI, that's why I asked in the first place. They asked why, I said it was just going to be a fun vehicle that I drive on the weekends. They specifically asked if the suspension was modified, I did my best to dodge it but I ended up getting cornered and having to say yes. Now they're debating whether or not to insure the vehicle at all. They're concerned that it's a race vehicle and that I'll be using it "irresponsibly and beyond reasonable safety levels". Mind you I said nothing about four wheeling, just said that it was modified. I asked them about quads just for reference and if I choose to keep it completely off the street, I can have the truck covered for $60 a year. But I'd end up paying at least $2,000 a year if I want to place a tire on a public road. The stupid part is that their reasoning behind not wanting to insure me is they suspect I'll be using it for off-road activity, but their policy doesn't cover anything that happens to me or anybody else off the paved highway.

Soooooo.....they're basically contradicting themselves and being pricks. I'm probably gonna end up going to Progressive or something and taking out the basic minimum policy in someone elses name with me listed as a secondary driver so I don't end up paying more for insurance in a year than I paid for the truck.

11. CyberSniper

The part that sucks about having insurance under someone else is that if you get sued the person who you have the insurance under can get sued as well. That's why I'm not under my parents' insurance. It would be a lot cheaper but I don't want them getting sued.

12. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, since I'm still technically his dependent the insurance arrangment doesn't matter, he could be sued for my problems no matter what. When I'm no longer considered a dependant by the IRS I'll go my way with everything, but until then it's just easier this way.

BTW, just spoke to the insurance agent this morning. She said if corporate doesn't want to cover me, and I want to stick with the company, I'll be classed with drunk drivers, people found guilty of vehicular homicide, etc. Didn't know modifying a vehicle was a felony nowadays.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

how ironic you say something like that. i know more people from Michigan who fit that description, than i do from Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and North Carolina combined. who have missing or rotten teeth, an education that never went past the 8th grade, and would still remain in the family if all blood ties were severed (kissin cousins). i have no family in Michigan, but lots in the other states i mentioned.

how about that retarded insurance you guys have up there? Joe Schmoe is drunk, hits you head on, your insurance has to foot the bill to repair your vehicle, as there is "no fault".

14. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Let me straighten you out on GodMudders. I know the guy. He is not a bad gut so don't take this the wrong way.

He is in the business of selling products to modify your vehicle.....so why would he make such a claim???

He is also a NHTSA inspector...the plot thickens.
    As such he can and will re-inspect your truck for a higher GVWR thus allowing your vehiclke to be higher off of the ground.

That is the short and skinney. If you want more details just ask. He is also the most expensive installer i have ever talked to. This was before he moved away from Alsip IL....

15. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

It also sounds like Joez has met him.

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yes, on more than one occasion.

17. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

same here

18. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not sure if there's some background personality conflict behind some of these comments, but let's try our best to avoid the subtle insults, m'kay?

Just remember these wise words from Brother Canmore:

Paying for vehicle insurance sucks until you need it. Don't lie about the condition, size, cost of your vehicle, etc..... EVERY SINGLE insurance policy(vehicle, property, life) has a clause that allows the Co. to refuse a claim payment if they can prove you have purposefully misinformed them about whatever they are insuring.

Now, let's carry on and try to keep it clean.......

19. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Not trying to insult anyone. I am just shedding light on why he has that on his web site. It is also the reason he moved his shop out of IL. He found a loophole in the laws by becoming an NHTSA inspector and used it. After a while the cops got tired of it.
    He used his legal loophole to garner business. Not saying it was wrong or right, and i am not judging either. Just had a side conversation going with Joez that should have been in PM's

20. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Sorry, brother, it wasn't directed to you. If you look closely at the top of my reply you can see who I was replying to.....