Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any interest in 1st Gen bikini tops?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HarryL, Jul 15, 2002.

1. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Any interest in 1st gen bikini tops? A friend and I have been experimenting with materials and hardware to design a functional, good looking bikini top for 1st gen Blazers.

I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in purchasing a bikini? I need to get an idea before I commit to a limited production run and invest more money.

Right now they would be black in color, and not require drilling of the windshield frame to mount. 2 versions probable: Long and longer, both which require a roll bar. Long covers from WSF to roll cage, and Longer covers from WSF to over rear seat. A hoop and mounting brackets, along with strap tie downs would be required for the longer version, unless you are fitted with a full cage that covers the rear seat.

I stress that this project is still in the preliminary planning stages. Whether it goes anywhere is contingent upon your feedback.

Price: Haha. The cheaper, the better. I'm shooting for 1/4 to 1/3 the price of a full soft top.

let me know what you think.

BR

Harry in Utah

2. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

How much $$ are we looking at And would it fit a 74?

3. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I might be interested in one. Do you have a pic? I would like to see before i buy. I also like the fact that i dont have to drill holes in my windshild frame. Thanks Oh yea how much $$$ ? <font color="red">1 FN HI K5 </font color>

4. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I will probly buy one.

5. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

I will post pics before offering anything for sale. I will only offer a high quality bikini top, for 2 reasons: 1st I don't like to buy crap myself, and 2nd, I can't bear to hear all the bitchin :-)

Price: shooting for less than $200.00 inclusive.

I just read some posts that said that Besttop is planning on a new softtop and a bikini also?

I'll keep you all informed how it is going, and I will have pics.

thanks,

Harry

6. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

I'm very interested and that sounds like a fair price. Can't wait to see pic's.

7. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

I'd be interested in buying one too! I would also like to see some pics.

8. Murph

Murph Registered Member

I might be interested, too. Like everyone else, pictures (or drawings) would be nice.

Murph

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i,d be intrested

nathan

10. kilomanjaro

kilomanjaro 1/2 ton status

I'd be interested as well.
    john

11. yellowmoon

yellowmoon Registered Member

Might kick in for one, if it looks good in the pics.

12. I8AJ**P

I8AJ**P Registered Member

I would buy one. depending on picts. also.

13. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

For those that are interested, I made a bikini top for my 72 K5 from a Bestop bikini made for a 55-75 CJ5 (they are 58 inches wide - same as the width of a K5 windshield). I already had snaps installed in my windshield frame for my full Bestop soft top, so all I did was trim the leading edge of the bikini top to conform to the rounded widshield of the Blazer, had it professionally hemmed and reinforced at a local upholstry shop, and installed the snaps to match the existing snaps on the winshield frame. It cost me $42 for the bikini top, $15 for the hemming, and $5 for the snaps. The footman loops are located on the top of the wheel wells in the bed. It installs in seconds, looks frickin tight, and it only cost me $62. Only problem is that those early CJ-5 bikinis are only available in the shinny black vinly and denim tan colors. By the way, I have a factory 4-point roll bar in my truck.

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

And the picture is? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif C'mon lets see it.I wanna see it.

15. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

HEY HARRYL&gt; Can we see some progress pics??? Everyday I look up this thread, hoping to find some pics!! I'm sure everyone would like to see how the top is coming along. Stop Teasing!!!!!!!

16. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I'm interested in a white one

17. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

Here's an update on the bikinitop. The design is coming along well, I think I have designed something that will come on and off without snaps or any other hardware on the front. That's not really a problem.

My problem lies with the upholsterer who was going to do the sewing. He smells bucks, and has doubled the price for labor (to $140.00!!!!!) There is no way that I can buy the materials and hardware and still get it in under 200.00.

Accordingly, I told him to FOAD. He can try and reverse engineer my design, but since I never showed him what I was doing, the method whould be safe. I'm interviewing several upholsterers in the next several days to determine interest.

Needless to say, I might have to buy my own HD sewing machine.

Hang on, and thanks for your interest. This might turn into a winter project :-(

HarryL

18. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would be interested as well...

19. 72fan

72fan Registered Member

I'd buy one if it had the hardware to mount on the top of the windshield and everything.

20. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

I will post some pics of my "snap on" bikini top for those that already have the snaps for their full Bestop soft tops, and are interested in design ideas. Another design that I considered would work well for those that don't want to f-up their windshield frame with snaps/screws/rails/etc. Find an old single or double walled top that is one step from the crusher, cut the front edge off of it (the part that bolts to the windsield frame) in a contour that parallels the frame. Next, mount your canvas/vinly of choice to the fiberglass "bow" that you just created with snaps/screws/rails/epoxy/etc. When you want to put it on, all you do is bolt the "bow" on in the factory locations and pull the canvas over your rollbar with some straps and footman loops. Only downside is that it will not fold down any smaller than the fiberglass bow when you take it off and stow it. Just an idea...