Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ANY INTEREST IN FIBERGLASS BODY PARTS?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLUESMAN, Jul 22, 2002.

1. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    My father-inlaw owns an 'glass shop.He has been in the business for 20+ years.I recently asked him about fiberglass body parts.He has a mold for the '73-'80 hood that is an lo-profile.ome of us old guys might remember the early 80's type.Anyways he says he would make these and sell them for around $250.Maybe cheaper, it depends on the # of hoods.Now he says he can make any body part that someone would need.So my Q is if anyone wants fiberglass parts,pre '80 or '81 up?Hoods(stock,lo-profile),fenders,doors?He is located here in Arizona and I don't know what shipping would be.If enough people in Cali wanted some parts I could make a trip with a trailer.I'll get more info and prices when I speak with him.Mike

2. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I live in nevada and want one(hood) for my 77 k5.any pics of any of this stuff?pm or e-mail me with any info.Thanks mike mmdm563@hotmail.com

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    What about the idea of skins to cover up the real beat up off road fenders, quarters etc.?
    Might be a money maker??
    Smash it, beat it out and skin it. keep it cheap and easy.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've got an '87. I would be interested in a low profile hood maybe? and of course some bulged fenders like some of the places like Hanneman's and the other race places sell.

5. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i know i'am far away , but i'd love some huge front fenders so i don't have to use those bushwackers cutout flares.. i don't think they make these for 85 sub and i bet people would come running for them if they would let you run big meets with little lift... so yeah i'am interested.

6. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

The bulged fenders might be a problem since he has no mold to go from.The mold for the lo-profile hood is for the pre-'81 hoods.Mike

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Talk to him about the buldged fenders and see if it's doable. I been tossing around going full glass for the whole front clip including the hood. Wanted some Glass rear 1/4's that would be sized to go over the entire rear 1/4 to hide the bashed in 1/4's and get enough fender over the tires to keep the PD happy. 3 inches should do it both ends.
    If he's willing to cut deals then I bet we could drum up some sales off the site and make him some cash. That drop hood is not easily found these days. Looks funny but it does make seaing whats in front of the truck easier. See if his works with existing hood hinges and latches or if it's a light weight deal the has to be pinned and have some suport under it.
    Who knows...maybe this could be something offered through OffCamber4x4.

8. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Grim, I never thought about Offcamber4x4.The lo-profile hood is constructed with two skins,one is the actual hood and the other is the bottom brace.It does use the stock latch and hidges.I'll ask about the bulged fenders...that seems to be what everyone wants.Mike

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I would love to have a low profile hood if shipping wasnt huge /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have an 85 and want a low-profile hood! gimme gimme! get ur dad to go to Blazer Bash with a trailer full of hoods, he'll be rich. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I may be interested in a 81+ hood(low profile or cowl inducted) and a 89 p/u Cowl hood... If these are doable.

12. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

13. Grim-Reaper

Yeah Have been on that site. The deal is the father in law is offering a price for a hood that would work with the factory hinges for the price most places are selling the thin pin style hood. Not a lot of weight savings on that hood just the improved visibility.
    Now somebody wanted a low profile for the 81 up. The front of the hood on those years is already about 3 inches lower than the 80 down from clip is. It might be more.

14. Grim-Reaper

Ask him if he can do the thin hoods that secure with pins.
    What I want to do (may never happen) is go like a pre runner and loose as much weight as possible. Most of the other plase are making thin hoods in the 10lb weight range. I want to do a full tube tied into the frame and roll cage. The tube would have the braces and suport for the body work. My plan is when I'm crawling is to just remove the fenders and leave them at camp . Nothing to smash but doors that way /forums/images/icons/smile.gif That will take about 6 inches off each side of the truck I figure so all the more skinny. When I get off the trail then pop them back on to keep the PD happy. I figure I would loose about 200lb off the front easy this way. Depending on how much I cut out of the rear 1/4s probably another 50#'s.
    Buld so alumminum pannels to keep the mud off the engine. Make them easily removed. Pop the fenderes, inner pannels and hood and then you can sit on the front tires to service the engine. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

is there anyway he could design fiberglass half doors that uses the factory hinges and latch? i would be enterested in that thanks Don

16. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Grim,The hood mold that he has now(pre'81 lo-profile) is an 2 piece mold.The top piece is just the skin.This is what I'm going to use with pins and old valvesprings to keep it in place.the bottom skin is all the hidge/latch mounts.I'm not sure you guys that are "rock crawlers"(including myself)want 'glass fenders and doors.I'm sure he can make them.
    So what do we all want?.............So far '81-up stock and cowl hoods,pre'81 lo-profile hoods,fenders(?),bulging fender skins(?),full doors/half doors(?).I guess a poll of what is wanted would be better.Looks like a few people might be interested.Mike

17. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hey how about something REALLY simple that most of use could really use.... an INSTRUMENT PANEL! Maybe something flat but angled at the driver, that would bolt to the factory pad holes. Simple, cheap, and would keep me from trying to find a 5 inch tach for a DIESEL! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

What we need is someone to make some hoods and fenders from polycarbonate.A company is coming out with hoods for the Heeps made from poly.These are almost indestructable!Joel at Stage West has one on his Heep.He said when he got it he throw it on the shop floor and jumped on it and no cracks!

19. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I've got the flared quarters on mine from Glassworks, they ran about $300 for the pair. The fronts are from Hanneman
    and run about $150 each. The fronts will fit 'burbs and pick-ups also.

20. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I like the Idea of a Guage panel. Made so that we could mount auto-meters or whatever in it and it wouldn't look at our feet /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .