Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any interest in my rig?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Jul 29, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thinking about selling it once again. Found a killer deal on a samurai and am thinking about picking it up. I'm not sure there would be ANY interest in my rig as a whole, so I'd probably be parting it out. Think I could get $3K either way?

14B with detroit and 4.10 gears
    D44 open with 4.10s, rebuilt recently
    long travel shocks on all 4 corners
    38x12.5x16 Grooved TSL on 16x10 black rockcrawlers
    Recently rebuilt TH350 with new T/C and NP203
    New u joints in the Dshafts
    Cage, but not sure that could come out without the rest of the body.
    Bobbed 12"
    no doors
    no top
    stock 350 engine
    Optima red top
    20 gal alum fuel cell
    seats
    ect ect...do yall think I could scrape 3K?

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i would ask for more than that...i wish i had the money cause your going in the direction i'd like to.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

you see, i'm just at the point of no return. I'd like to put in a D60 front, doubler, and all that jazz, but then I'd be dropping some major coin into a truck that is NEVER going to be the best rockcrawler out there. It's a big, wide, heavy, fat, pig. don't get me wrong, I love the K5 but it's just not really practical for really tough off road endevors. With the suzuki, you've got a short wheelbase, one of the narrowest bodies out there, and you can use everyone else's castoff parts. You can run Toyota axles up to a 36" tire which is a monster on a sami, and never break a thing. The Toyota guys are givin them away since they need to run D44's. You can run lockrights since you dont have enough power to bust them. The one I'm looking at is EFI already and the little 1.3 makes just enough power for the trails. transfer cases are easily changed out and parts are plentiful. I can change a transmission by bench pressing it in place and starting the bolts. I can get 3 buddies and pick the thing up. I can buy a 6000# winch to do the job. Just cheap cheap cheap. I can't believe I'm giving up the K5 craze, but if I'm going to do it, now's the time. So round up your cash and come buy this thing!!! haha

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have clicked reply like 3 times now and said nothing! I just can't find the words! I don't want to offend you with what I want to say.
    The first thing that comes to mind is why are you selling out to some overseas piece of use to be sardine cans china foreign non-AMERICAN un-Made in the USA type of half and half deal!!??!!?? few try to say that again /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    I you want someting small get an AMERICAN made Flatfender or buy a good welder and a tube bender and put your current drive train on a rockbuggy.
    Please don't sell out to the foreign crowed /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i soo agree on that!! i would never get rid of a blazer even if it was a totall POS for a foreign made..

Bryan

6. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

it sounds like the only thing that is stopping you is the size of the truck. so i totally agree with the small american truck, or the totally custom rig. keep the chevy heart and just build a custom body /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Foreign made or not, sammys are CHEAP! For $3000 he can build a sammy that will go lots more places than the blazer could because of the smaller size and lighter weight.

Bryan, I don't blame ya' one bit for wanting a smaller rig. I got the sammy bug too, and just missed out on a running 89 model for $500 here in town. I'm keeping the blazer, and collecting Suzuki stuff when I can and will eventually build a lightweight trail toy. It's a shame you can't keep both. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

BIGJ

8. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

this is probably best suited for another forum, but whatever...lake, i have been where you are at. suzuki, jeep, fj-40, etc...something lighter, smaller, and less expensive to drive around. i even posted MAD MAX for sale here and every other 'rock board' on the net...no one would buy it?!

so, what i have realized, for me, is that i go through these phases every other year or so and it passes...and no matter what i end up with i will continue to build on it in a never ending pursuit to build the better rig. so, where i am at now is BIGGER IS BETTER and the trend is leaning toward full size rigs with 1 ton axles and 42" tires running doublers and no doors! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

but, if you do make the switch i am sure you will build a bada*s 'toymotor'. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif good luck.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If you want smaller, build your own body. That's what I did. Most (many?) of the real hardcore guys are running full size axles in Jeeps, FJs, and Samis anyway. Eventually the frame is the weak point and they wind up with tube buggies. I figured, why not start with a bullet proof drive train and (almost bullet proof, at least comparatively) frame and throw the body away. I'm not much bigger than most of the Jeep and FJ guys now. If I don't like it, and decide to throw away my cowl too, I can build whatever size rig I want. Seems like most of the hardcore guys have no trouble with the wide axles, but, if I decide that is a problem, they can be narrowed and I'm still way ahead in the game. If you take away the tires and tools (bender, welder, etc.), I’ve only got around $3k in my rig. Sprung weight could be cut down quite a bit if I wanted to give up size/space. Unsprung weight isn’t so much an issue, especially when of it comes from a D60/C14FF combo. In fact, it helps in most cases. Plus, the high unsprung vs. sprung weight ratio allows for some INSANE angles. I guess what I’m saying is that you don’t need to throw out your rig (especially if your going to take a beating on it) and get a Sami (or similar). You’ve got an excellent starting point for a small rig, you just have to ditch the body. Then, if you don’t want to build your own, you can bolt on a Jeep, S10 (Blazer?), or whatever to get the size your after.

Either way, good luck …

10. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I know exactly how ya feel.I wheel with a buddy with a Sami all the time and they are pretty cool.On the trail,some times he makes stuff look easy and I will have trouble in the same spot and vise versa.Samis are cheap initialy but can be as big of a money pit as anything else.My buddy says he has at least $6k into his an he is not near done.

The only reason I dont go the way of the Sami or toy is that it would be like starting over.What I could get for my truck wouldnt get me very far into another project.Your gonna end up wanting alot of the same sorta things for the Sami as ya do the K5.Lower t case gears,more lift,axle upgrades,more power.That stuff aint cheap.Just think about what you are gonna get compared to what yer gonna give up. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i agree with what everyone else has said...build your rig you have into something else...hell put an s10 body on your frame and already you are narrowed up quite a bit...

p.s. if you do part it out id be interested in tires and wheels and the shocks...

Later

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

LakeTex,

Just remember one thing.....there is NO single perfect offroad rig!!! Sure the Sami's and Jeeps might fit into smaller spots, but long wheelbase K5's will dominate other parts of the trail.....

There is definitely a "grass is greener" temptation to deal with, but you seem to have a really good start on your K5. It seems like a shame to go all the way back to the beginning with a new "unmodified" vehicle, and do all the same upgrades over again.

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

you can definitely scrape it together if you part it out.

why a POS samurai? rice, rice baby. haha.

unless the trails are obnoxiously narrow or you live in an area with a lot of suckyzukies it's pointless.

parts are a big issue. parts are cheap for the 73-91 generation. they can be found all over the place. "there ain't nothing cheaper than rebuilding a SBC."

around here there are two samurais that hit the trails. they have a lot of money invested in something that is pointless. they both have around $6k TCO (total cost of ownership) while the chevy and ford guys have around $1k-5k invested. and when a FoMoCo pile or a GM heap breaks usually someone has the part with them and they can drive it home. the samurais usually get dragged home. sometimes i swear it'd be easier to roll them on their roof and drag them that way.

sure, they do better in some areas than a pick-up or K5. but a shortbox pickup does almost as good in the same instance. even the guys in mail jeeps do better than the samurais (4wd mail jeeps are common in the U.P. of Michigan).

if i were you i'd go pick up a S10 or S15 for $500 and stick your stuff under it. eliminate the box and put a flat bed on it to stiffen the frame. butcher the front fenders. life is good.

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well first off, flatfenders are expensive and built like crap from the factory. They do look a lot cooler than a sami though. Sami's on the other hand are cheap and relatively bulletproof. I'm not one of those people that wants to sink 15K into my rig. And I'm in no way brand loyal to chevy. I like what works. That's why I just bought a dodge. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Finally someone who's not seeing bowties everywhere he looks! I'll tell you what, it is a phase just like robbie said, but mine comes about every 3 months. I just know the direction i'm going is going to take too much cash and i still wont have what I want. I'd like a K5 someday for a small lift truck to drive around town with the top cranked off. But for a trail rig? Come on. If folks would just open their eyes, they'd see that these fat pig trucks just aren't suited for it unless you sink big bucks, and then you're still too big and way too heavy. I wonder what Steven Watson's rig weighs?

In all reality, i'll probably wait a bit longer. Haven't wheeled the K5 hard but about 3 times. I need to crossover the D44 and wheel the piss out of it. I'm finally graduating in December and have a few good opportunities coming up. Probably need to start saving my pennies in case the "right" deal comes along. And wheel the heck out of my current rig. And in a year or two, maybe I'll be set up enough to buy and build a good lightweight trail rig.

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've got about 4K in my rig. But the lack of a D60 is a big weak spot. If I had locked 1 tons with 5.13 gears, maybe my truck would survive drivetrain wise. But that's cash, cash, cash. I've already started an intensive body removal program. Not to your standards, but the frontend is gone, the bed is bobbed, and I'm thinking about narrowing the cab a few inches. I like your truck, but I feel it's still too heavy. What's your projected weight?

A lot of samis are in the 2400 to 2800 pounds range.

The other factor is I still want to be somewhat street legal. I dont want a non tagged buggy that I have to put on the trailer to drive 2 miles up the road to the next trail.

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah starting over would suck. Maybe I need a reason. Anybody wanna come over and help me finish my tube front so I can go wheelin??? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

With a trashed truck, then I'll have no regrets. haha

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Another question that this brings up is something I've been thinking about for a few weeks now. You can get those sand rail kits for dirt cheap. think they'd stand up to 4wd action? You'd have to setup your own spring mounts or links :drool:, but the basic truck is there all the way to the seat mounts...whatcha think?

19. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Since you just talking a rock rig, I cant argue with your logic. I saw some up in Moab that made Upper Hellderado look like a joke. I've owned a Sammy and they can be real nice. Its like driving a four-wheeler with a heater. Good in the snow, better in the rocks, and uh not that great in everything else. But for an all around rig, which I think most of us are after, the Blazer is a good choice. Get the Sammy for the rocks but keep the Blazer for everything else.

20. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

If you want a smaller body...do a hybrid with your frame ad drivetrain and put a small truck cab on it with a flat bed.

EX: early 80's toyota single cab, dodge d50 etc.

The hardest part would be fabbing new body mount locations.

you should be able to fit any chev v8 in the hood without too much hassel. maybe just remove the fender wells.