Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any interest in?

Discussion in 'General Parts for Sale' started by john39671, Nov 12, 2004.

1. john39671

john39671 1/2 ton status

I recently went to work in a machine shop and we try to keep about 4 350's in stock. Everyone that comes in has to have a 4 bolt main. Well us and the local salvage yards are starting to get low on 4 bolts but 2 bolts are everywhere.
    We had an idea of offering a splayed 4 bolt but didnt know if the cost would outweigh the need. The nearist I can figure is between 700-800 for one that has been bored, splayed caps installed, aline hone, block decked, maged, cleaned and hot tanked, cam brgs installed and soft plugs installed.
    I was also wondering if anyone here has had it done or priced it? If not I am interested in what other shops around the country are pricing all the labor and parts I have listed.
    Give me some feedback so I can know what everyone thinks.
    John

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

splayed? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

As I understand it, a studded 2bolt block is capable of handling up to 550 horsepower. If you're building more then that then splayed studs would be a good thing. Otherwise, I'd just stud a 2bolt. I don't think it's practical for your average engine rebuild, only for race purposes. If the customer insists on 4bolt then they should be prepared to pay the price.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Splayed...splayed.........to similar to splayed and neutered for my comfort. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Oh I know what ya mean. Couldn't resist the humor though. Summit or Jegs sells motors with that type of four bolt or used to. Just as strong I heard.