Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any K/5 1/4 mi. Timeslips?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Mar 14, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looking around I have seen a couple maybe two timeslips posted for guys who have run their K/5 down the quarter mile just to see what it pulls...

I'm thinking when I take my Car to Sacramento raceway... I want to run my blazer down the track a time or two just for $hits and grins... and to know what it pulls./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I'm thinking my K/5 would do a 16 or 16.5? I really don't know.
    With some calculations i figured out if I yanked the engine out of my Camaro and dropped it in my K/5 (with optimal gearing) it would pull about a low 13. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Let me know if you decide I'll come watch I live right down the road from it just about... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Is the track open for that kind of thing all the time, or only on special weekends? When were you planning to go.....that sounds like a fun "road trip" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I ran mine once. It was almost 20 sec with the stock 350, th350, 3.07 gears and full time 4wd.

5. Ryan B.

not really sure.
    I think they have certain days like wed and fri, where you can "test and tune" You can also race all weekend in classes for money as long as you pass the tech inspection.
    I've heard the officals are pretty laid back at sac. at sears point they want you to have everything! AT sac, i could tell them that i've never run my car before and as long as it passes everything i should be good to go..... Until they see the time it pulls. then they'll be telling me to come back with a cage, tranny scattershield, etc.
    I'm going to have to find out what exactly my car will need, and when I can do this. I'll have to get tires and 5 point harnesses first. Then maybe some disk brakes and a line lock:)

I'll probally not go for another month or two... I want to get some slicks or at least M/T et street tires so my car will hook up and not be spinning the tires halfway down the track. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Maybe i should run the blazer, then run it towing the trailor with the camaro on it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Why Greg- you want a heads up race against my blazer? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif You know that 427 should take my truck. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Greg72

Ryan,

Hell yeah.....I'll race ya!

Loser buys the sandwiches! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

The only problem is that I've never driven my truck over 75MPH.....I have no idea how stable it is over that speed, and I would HOPE that my trap speed is better than that!!!!!

Maybe a few "familiarization runs" before the big showdown?

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Ihave an idea how fast mine is...SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooWWWWWWWWWWW....Like really slow... The fact that I am running a pretty much stock 350 w/ 35's and 3.73 and I am ALWAYS afraid that getting on the truck will spell disaster for my 700...I always drive pretty calmly...once I get my 465 in there...watch out...I will be having fun...then I will only have to wory bout smoking the clutch and not the entire tranny...

Chris

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

You will also have to worry about the long 1-2 shift L-1 is easy but 1-2 is hard as hell! I still miss 2 sometimes when ragging my truck. It takes more skill than one might think on an sm465. The SM was never meant to be a speed shifting tranny because of its long stroke shift pattern. IMO

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I've never raced my suburban, but with the overtorqued 454 in it, I can accelerate pretty impressively with it. I need to get the old tranny rebuilt, and redepositied in it tho... they're both Th400's, but the old one had a better shift kit in it, that would actually SLAM you into the back of your seat. it was really a fun rush to drive that... the new one doesn't really throw you around, but it still conencts the 540 ft/lbs with the 308's in the back, and deposits it on the ground pretty well.

the only problem with it: too much torque, and my foot is too heavy a lot of the times... after braking 4 or 5 tranny mounts, I finaly designed a more solid one.... it can't break, although it can still flex to some degree... of course, now I've wrenched free thedrivers side engine mount, so I've got to tear that out, and replace it... probbly the other one too, since its prolly shot too.... I might go for a solid mount at this point, just because the mounts I have in there are a whopping year old.... especialy if I can get some BBC vortechs for it....

with the current tranny shift setup for the truck I pulled it from, first shift on my tall gear rear happens at 45 MPH.... 2nd at about 70.... I havn't timed that yet, but its only about 10 seconds to the 2nd shift from 0.... I also need to fix up my speedo/cruisecontrol/etc so that I can tell how fast I;m going besides estimations with Vac and tac gauges...

-Rich

10. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

I figure i should be able to run in the high 30s since my k5 is big heavy and slow .

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey I got beer on ryan..Sorry greg BUT I saw ryan try to jump and fly around me at hollister.....Dam ryan I still laugh at that one !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know when you want to go..

12. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ive really been kicking the idea around of taking my blazer over to Atco, on friday nights, its 12 bucks to get in, and as many passes as you can do before they close. You just run and then get right back in line.

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I've thought about it but the tech. guys always kick people out for rusty floorboards! So I only know what it's faster than (ok ok and slower than) on the street! I'd love to take it down the 1320 just once!

14. Ryan B.

hmmmm.
    rusty floorboards could be a problem. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

15. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

Ryan the last time i went i was in the high 13's
    LOL <font color=red> 1 FN HI K5 <font color=red>

16. Greg72

NoSmog,

OK.....now them's fightin' words!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Kinda like telling someone their new baby is UGLY!

Personally, I'm still waiting for a video clip of someone doing a 4-Wheel Drive burnout on dry pavement......... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

No time slip to show but I ran a Vericom on my Cherokee when I 1st built it. I launched like my grandma, and shifted out at 5000 and turned a 17.48 @85 MPH. Once I learned to launch it and started twisting it to 7000 I know it was a bunch faster than the 17 I ran before. I could just never catch up with the guy w/ the Vericom to run it again when he had it on him.

17 inches of lift 17X40 Hawgs 3.54 gears 401 AMC motor and a TH400.

18. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey just funning..:p Ya I know you have the big block I am twisted between the big block and ryan's flying skills (hollister) But hey there is free beer if ya win....(btw I really want to see the bb in your truck..I want one too but dam hard to find ????)

19. Ryan B.

Greg-
    When I get a big block in my Blazer, you can bet I'll get a video of a 4 wheel burnout. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif How about just a <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/camaroburnout.msnw>camaro burnout</a>? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

And I don't know... Greg and I never have wheeled at hollister together so he might have some "flying skillz" also that we just don't know about. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    And my flying skills weren't 100% intentional either... kind of a spur of the moment thing when i decided to mash the gas. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Everyone was stopping and trying to figure the best way through the rut... I just went for it. smashed the front end and then gassed it. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif!

20. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

My blazer was at 11.58 =)