Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any kind of antenna better then the others?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Jishory, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

I just need an antenna rated at 500 watt's to mount on my rear bumper, whats the best deal out there? head to walmart or are they junk there? good place to order online with side mounts and about a 10 foot cable all factored in?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

102" stainless steel whip. Nothing, and I mean nothing, out preforms the 102" stainless steel whip for 11 meter. You can order the 102 through places like H&Y Electronics and Copper Electronics.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

... or go to Radio Shack. Why pay all the $$$ for shipping?

The catalog number is 21-903, and cost $19.99 They can order it if they don't have any in stock. The kid at my local Shack didn't even know they had any there until he asked the manager "what's a 102 whip?"... they were in the back on a shelf.

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=102

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Radio Shack doesn't carry them anymore, or atleast the onse around here haven't for the last few years anyways..

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

But, they can order anything in their catalog, which means you don't pay shipping. My Shack had 7 on the shelf last time I bought one.

6. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

do those come with the mounting hardware usually?

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Nope, the mounting harware is sold seperatley. There are a few different types available depending on how you want it done. Some are made for mounting to a bumper and others can be easily modified to work. It may work best if you see what the store has available then buy what mount you think will work the best. A ball mount on your rear fender would work well if you don't mind drilling.

8. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i really didnt want to do that not because im hacking up the body but because that wouldnt last a day with me on the trail. im in the car on the way to radio shack ill report back with my findings

9. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

:D

looks good guys, tall as **** but the ladies like that right? hopefully it will stand up to a few tree branches, seems really flexible. im thinking the stainless steel was a much better choice over a fiberglass for my mounting location so it doesnt block my tail lights all together. Thanks for the help guys! :bow:

IMG_2848 (Large).JPG

IMG_2850 (Large).JPG

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It looks good on there. The 102 whips are VERY tough... I've banged my on overpasses numerous times at 70 mph with no problems. One thing you may want to do is grind to bare metal on your bumper and frame and run a ground strap between the two. It's important that the aluminum bracket you bought "sees" a good ground.

11. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

I have the 102 whip also..i'm on my 4th one...dang trees keep reaching out and stealing mine :D Lost three off road, and one going through town...

Oh and the people working in a drive thru love me..as it scrapes across their overhangs and on a few times, smacked and broke their overhead lights :D

Oh and i'm not sure if it would do anything, but i always get nevous when i go down a street and there is low hanging power lines running across the street..hit a couple of them with the whip..so far nothing has happend..but i still cring everytime i come up to one

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

7-element Yagi.