Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any known 6.2 problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Feb 5, 2004.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Outside of the lack of power are there any known problems with the 6.2. I found a beautifull 91 Crew Cab Dually for a good price and I might not pass it up even though it is 2wd. I figure I could always upgrade with a Banks Turbo or even a engine swap in the future for the extra power but that will be at least 2 years from now.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm wondering if my buggy would like a Turbo 6.2 with a set of custom headers. Little port work in the heads.

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Where is the turbo gonna be, under the floorboard? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The only problem I've had with my 6.2 was a leaking injector pump. It cost me just over 1K CDN(about $700 USD) to get it replaced and the shop did the R&R. The reason it blew is that up here our diesel fuel is VERY dry and I wasn't running fuel conditioner on a regular basis.

Another area of grief(albeit minor) is the glow plug system, but other than replacing the odd GP it's never given me any trouble. Most guys run a manual GP switch which eliminates the need for the GP controller setup.

I've also heard that some of the early 6.2s had problems with cracked heads.....

FWIW, I have a friend who has a 6.2 in his 91 1/2 ton. The sucker's got almost 400k kms(250k miles) on it and hasn't had to do anything except change out the GPs.

Hope that helps, Wayne. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only problem I've had with my 6.2 was a leaking injector pump. It cost me just over 1K CDN(about $700 USD) to get it replaced and the shop did the R&R. The reason it blew is that up here our diesel fuel is VERY dry and I wasn't running fuel conditioner on a regular basis.

Another area of grief(albeit minor) is the glow plug system, but other than replacing the odd GP it's never given me any trouble. Most guys run a manual GP switch which eliminates the need for the GP controller setup.

I've also heard that some of the early 6.2s had problems with cracked heads.....

FWIW, I have a friend who has a 6.2 in his 91 1/2 ton. The sucker's got almost 400k kms(250k miles) on it and hasn't had to do anything except change out the GPs.

Hope that helps, Wayne. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is some good info. Donna said to call about it but I want to make sure of what could go wrong first and get some info. I don't know much about the diesels.

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check the Vibration dampner on the front of the engine.

If the rubber is cracked or extruded, it needs to be replaced ASAP. a broken crank will be the result of a deteriorating dampner. I have 2 6.2L K30 trucks that I am running and a 6.5TD K20. They are good engines in my opinion. But like any engine gas or diesel, they have areas of design weakness that can be dealt with.

The 6.2 can have cracking in the main journal webbing, some do - some don't, most do not affect the longevity of the engine at all, just whether you use the block for rebuilding. Some of the heads crack between the valves, again most do not affect performance and they can be repaired usually on rebuild.

Check the vibration dampner.

Tell them you want to do a cold start on the engine. That will tell you some things about the condition of the starter and the glow plugs.

Pull the radiator cap and watch for bubbles as the truck warms up, head gasket bad means bubbles usually.

The air cleaner elememnt should be clean.

The oil will look black even after changing due to soot from combustion. Best to "feel it", you can feel fresh oil or worn out oil.

Go to www.thedieselpage.com and hang out.

Check the vibration dampner.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

And don't forget to check the vibration dampner...

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Rene

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Not to make it sound bad, but mine had cracked heads, a 3 piece crank, a good damper, and had 3 main journal webs removed from the block all the way to the cam journals, i knew sumthin bad was up when i took the oil pan off and the crank was bent up in the middle. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ut it also had a really hard life, which didnt help.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Any motor needs maintenance, and anything beaten hard and 'put away wet' can't be expected to live long or be used as a benchmark example of engineering.

My 6.2 has almost 225,000 miles on it...runs great, good power and starts easy even in the cold.

Rene

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I think the head problems were pretty well ironed out by '91. The glow plug system is a known weakness as somebody else pointed out. There is a thermal controller, 8 glow plugs and a big relay that can all wear out. With any of this bad, you just will not be able to start it when it's cold. Check the glowplug resistances with an ohm meter. They should all be close to each other. Sometimes they fail as a short (or near short) so that your batteries drain through one plug and none of the cylinders get hot enough to fire.

Ask the guys on the diesel forum at this site.