Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any known 6.2 problems?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by wayne, Feb 5, 2004.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Outside of the lack of power are there any known problems with the 6.2. I found a beautifull 91 Crew Cab Dually for a good price and I might not pass it up even though it is 2wd. I figure I could always upgrade with a Banks Turbo or even a engine swap in the future for the extra power but that will be at least 2 years from now.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check the harmonic balancer...when they go bad the crank breaks which kinda sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Starter nose supports usually are missing, then the ear of the block where the starter mounts up is prone to breaking.

Mostly 6.2's are looked at with suspicion due to a lack of knowledge or understanding. If everything is up to snuff they are great motors. I really like mine.

As for power, it's not too bad if you have decent gearing. Mine is pretty close to the same as my 350 was...and pulls much harder in a different way. Off idle there isn't a comparison, higher rpm's the 350 pulled harder.

With a turbo like the Banks kit it'll pull quite decently, just keep in mind it'll never be a Cummin's.

You'll really like the fuel economy...in a 91 2WD with an OD tranny it'll most likely get 18-20 mpg. Running 40's, 4.56's and the SM465 my truck gets a consistant 16-16.5 mpg. That kind of mileage is pretty easy to live with...

Rene

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Outside of the lack of power are there any known problems with the 6.2. I found a beautifull 91 Crew Cab Dually for a good price and I might not pass it up even though it is 2wd. I figure I could always upgrade with a Banks Turbo or even a engine swap in the future for the extra power but that will be at least 2 years from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend got the 6.2 crew cab dually 2wd and he can't be happier.
    I got the gasser with a 350 and now I am puting a 6.2 in it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The truck is sold!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It really sucks because of how nice it was.

5. tRustyK5

That sucks Wayne...now you'll have to hunt down another 6.2 truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yep, still looking. Might go look at one tomorrow with a 454 in it.

7. tRustyK5

Booooo

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, still looking. Might go look at one tomorrow with a 454 in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif