Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any law officials... Help with mods......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Djroffroad, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

Ongoing argument of bead locks and other mods. Where do I look for the information for my state? Do any/all mods have to be DOT approved? Or just the ones that say "for off road use only" being a no no.

If so, is my home made bumper (stouter than any on the market) illegal because it is not DOT approved?

Getting a little more in depth....
    Cars from the factory must have certain parts DOT approved. If DOT includes mods done by the owner, what could we be missing? For instance, the stereo. I know it is highly unlikely DOT regulates them, but it is just an example. We tweak so much in our rigs. What could we be missing that isn't so obvious?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You might be able to look your vehicle code/dmv stuff up on the web. Don't know how Oregon is, but here in Cali, you can look all that stuff up on the web.

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Yeah but in most other states they have to go through some sort of safety inspection, not just smog like we do. THey get the lights, belts, brakes, and just about everything else checked. That is the one nice thing about cali., no anal retentive inspections.