Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Lawyers in the house?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, May 12, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I was just reviewing my auto insurance policy and searching the Progressive website for mention of how to put Fire coverage on a vehicle. There is no mention of fire in my contract, nor is it anywhere to be found on the website. I know that it's under comprehensive, but because it is AWOL on their website and in my policy could I not sue them for not explaining how to get fire protection on a vehicle?

I've found Theft, Tornado, Hurricane, Earthquake, and Hail on their website, and how to get coverage for each of those things, but NOTHING at all about fire... I'm about to call an attourney for a free consultation about this...

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It's not included in comprehensive?

3. PhoenixZorn

It's not listed

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Lawyer won't help, call their 800 number and ask about it. Let me know, too. I just switched to progressive last week after being on State Farm for 10 years.

5. PhoenixZorn

The Wisconsin Insurance Complaint Organization is taking my claim... If anything can be done, the'll be the ones who can do it... basically, the guy said that I might be able to do something like a misrepresentation suit due to the fact that the information is not readily available.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Don't you qualify for USAA?

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Concentrate your efforts on making them fix it if you are truly concerned about this matter. Just a couple days ago I bought some ground round at the local grocery store and it had some plastic ground up in it and some other questionable content. I could have probably sued and won, but I didn't. I simply brought the beef back up to the store and suggested they remove all remaining packages from the shelf. Without hesitation all packages were removed and I said I will be watching closely future beef that I purchase. Problem solved as far as I'm concerned.

What is it with people so eager to sue and their obsession with easy monetary gain?

:xmas:

8. PhoenixZorn

I am not obscessed with money... I just want to get something out of my burned truck because if I had known how to find fire coverage in my policy, I would have had it on that truck... I actually switched the insurance to my car today, and I couldn't find any information about fire protection anywhere... they say it's under comprehensive, but in today's day and age, when you can go to a website, fill out some information and put insurance on your car without so much as talking to a person, you'd think that it would be cleanly layed out on the site so you can choose to include it or not...

Again, they say it is listed, but after serious searching of their site and my policy documents, I can't find any reference to fire whatsoever...

Divorced... if I were complaining about a bad package of meat, I'd probably do the same thing you did... But you were out, what... $2.00 for your pound of ground chuck, and you found the plastic before you ate it... I'm talking about $8,000 down the sh!tter because information pertaining to a specific part of the coverage was not included in any documentation for my insurance. Like I said before.... if Fire coverage was listed on the site, you'd bet I'd have chosen it...

As for USAA, I would be paying more for it than I am paying for Progressive because they don't "officially" cover Wisconsin or something to that effect.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

So is the insurance company not paying you anything for your K5?

Sorry for my comment if you are trying to recover a loss.

10. PhoenixZorn

Yeah, they won't even look at it to see what caused the fire...

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's pretty odd about USAA, they're pretty cheap for us in New York. Or, I guess it could be that NY is so expensive it just seems cheap...

That sucks about the fire, good luck with Progressive...

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Basically -

Liability covers losses caused by you and incurred by others. It pays them.

Collision covers your vehicle in the event of an accident.

Med pay pays for your medical bills in the event of an injury.

UM pays for your losses if the other party in an accident is un or under insured to fully compensate you.

Comprehensive covers your vehicle for any loss with the exception of those specifically excluded in the policy. Fire is covered.

Theft, Tornado, Hurricane, Earthquake, and Hail are all considered "Acts of God" or "Force Majure" (spelling is questionable) and are specific exclusions. The reason you can find them in your policy is that you have to purchase a seperate rider for them, or can't get coverage for them at all. Comprehensive covers your vehicle for everything not specifically excluded.

My opinion is that you don't have a cause of action because, as I remember it you only bought liability insurance, which does not cover your vehicle for anything.

Further, you can't cherry pick the things that you want covered under comp. except that you can buy additional coverage for certain exceptions.