Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any leaf spring recomendations??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IL84JIMMY, Apr 12, 2004.

1. IL84JIMMY

IL84JIMMY Registered Member

I desperately need new leaf springs. Any little bump in the road is like hitting a curb. I drive an 84 Jimmy and i think that the springs are stock. My dad said i should just go with helper springs, but i don't know if that would cut it, or if i even want to go that route. I do 99% on road, and 1% in mud, so i am looking for a nice soft ride. I never do any climbing. i just want soft so my wife isnt afraid to ride with me. any suggestions would be great. what are you guys riding on? what do you guys like? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif thanks.

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am running 4" BDS. I am gonna guess that you don't want lift springs though. I have rarely heard that stock springs are too stiff. They are probably just really worn and you hit the bumbstops too soon. Or there might be a helper spring in there already (1/2 ton fronts should have only 2 leaves).
    my .02

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if you want to stay stock i couldnt tell ya but for lift springs my procomps ride pretty nice.i had rancho springs and they rode like crap.procomp is pretty reasonable priced also.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you want to lift it alittle, Tuff Country makes a 2" lift spring. Are your rear springs shot too ??? You can go with new springs all the way around. If your rear springs are good, I'd recomend a Shackle flip for the rear. ORD makes a nice 2.5" flip, or if you want to go larger, they make a 4" flip also.

5. IL84JIMMY

I dont want to lift it any more than two inches, but two would be good. I am not sure how bad the rear springs are, they dont feel as bad as the front for sure, but the are not a nice ride. The front i think are just completely worn out. I am not sure, but as i look at them from the side of the truck arent they supposed to make a smiley face at me? the front springs are frowning instead of smiling. I saw the article that colorado k5 had done new 4 inch lift springs from tuff country. I was thinking that maybe if i went with the easy ride instead of the heavy duty it would be a nice ride. Let me know what you think. Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

i'd be willing to bet that springs are not the whole problem, if it rides as poorly as you say, check shocks, bushings, tire pressure,ect /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Stock springs have a negative arch, how many shocks do you currently have on the front,,2 or 4?

Also just because the ad says it's an easy ride kit, it's still gonna ride abit stiffer than stocks, mine did anyway.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If you are gonna ask about TC don't let harley read this post.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

alot of truck now around that year the fronts are pretty much shot... get new front spings and all new shocks while your at it and like someone else said check your busings.

10. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I second the tire pressure post. My burb rides like a tank with 35 psi.

11. IL84JIMMY

I just have two leafs in the front. So would you figure the softer ride would be just to get stock replacements from napa or autozone or wherever? I figured i would get new ones on all 4 corners while i am at it, and especially if i go to 2 inches of lift. If i get new springs will new bushings come with them? thanks again.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Keep in mind it may be a combo of things. Sure, a small lift like the 2" would be nice, but I'd hate to hear you spent the money and have it turn out too be nothing more then tire air pressure. Check that first. But it's not out of the relm of possibilty that 20 Y/O leaf springs might need to be replaced. I really like the service from ORD, and they sell Tuff Country. Only other springs I'd go with would be BDS becouse of thier Warrenty.

13. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

New springs typically come with new bushings. 2" lift springs also tend to have a better ride than stock springs too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I just have two leafs in the front. So would you figure the softer ride would be just to get stock replacements from napa or autozone or wherever? I figured i would get new ones on all 4 corners while i am at it, and especially if i go to 2 inches of lift. If i get new springs will new bushings come with them? thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]Most springs come with bushings. But check befor buying. Again, I like the service from ORD. Give them a call at (970) 945-7777 . I'm sure they can answer all your questions.