Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Licensced Ham Radio Guys in here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Mom found a book in her and dad's house I brought with me back from college I got on a spur of the moment deal and then lost interest in due to college work:

'Now You're Talking!: All You Need To Get Your First Ham Radio License, 4th Edition', a book containing all the info you need to get a Technician-level ham license. Started looking through it again, and now my interest has gotten me going again into studying to get one, now that I have plenty of time on my hands.

So I wanna know. Are any members on here licensed ham operators? Has a 5th Edition of this book came out since then? And, do any of you guys have ham radios in your K5's? Last one's a curiousity question.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Check out the communication forum, there are a few Hams on this site. I'm not a ham myself, but my radio is alittle bit more the a CB, LOL. Current radio is a President Lincoln. I use in both the house and in the car. [​IMG]

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My old radio in the house was a Galaxy Saturn with a Silver Eagle D-104 mic. [​IMG]

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Got the same book here . I am kd7gwd . Don't talk much locally . I am waiting for the code requirement to go away so I can talk abroad . I am for saving the morse code , just never made the time to learn , and now I don't have the time .

I do take my 2 meter , my 440 , an amp my father and I made together , and a magnet mount on long trips :D

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

KE5BVC here, General Class licence :)

I say go for it, the no-code tech license is incredibly easy to get. You can have pleny of fun above 30 MHz ;)

I ran an Icom 2700H VHF radio in my rig, in addition to the cobra CB. They were useless when I was out wheelin though. I had to take both my antennas down lest the trees beat them up beyond recognition.

Now the 2700H is in my S-10 Blazer, with a smaller window mount antenna on the back. The K5 had a 1/2 wavelength roof-mount antenna, and a 1/4 wave loaded fiberglass CB antenna.

[​IMG]

Azden PCS-6000 VHF radio, MFJ power supply, Ten-Tec antenna tuner, Ten-Tec Triton IV HF rig, Icom W-32A UHF/VHF handheld, and a Uniden Bearcat scanner with ACPO ;) I've got more goodies not in the photo now; MFJ TNC for digital HF modes, laptop, memory keyer, and iambic paddle.

All-in-all I have about $2500 in radio equipment. It's a great hobby, but expensive. Even the homebrew gets expensive with the specialized IC's or Vaccuum tubes.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I almost got my ham licence..

I was taking a ham radio licence class in my old hometown when I was 13..but we moved just before it ended..I was only about 2 weeks away from taking the test..back then you had to be able to send or receive at least 5 words a minute in code (I think..been a long time!)..so I never oficially got mine..our teacher was showing us how to build a transmitter using an old console black and white TV sets guts!..it actually worked,and we were able to get a reply from a station in Haiti on our first attempt with it..

My friend had all kinds of ham radio stuff--his dad was a cop,and lots of radios were at the public auction at the police station,and available in army/navy stores or from war surplus..I had a nice set of WW2 vintage recievers I never should have left behind when I moved..

I never pursued getting my ham licence..now its real easy from what I have heard..no more code test for the novice class,and your home PC can be used to convert code into words now!..I got into CB's though..I have a Courier Centurion SSB with uppper and lowers in it..havent used it in a long time,I bet the batteries in the Turner 3+3 mike are junk..hope they havent leaked!:eek1: ..

I also have a 3 Shortwave recievers,one has a BFO..haven't used them in ages either..my Antron 99 antenna fell apart in the last 90 mpg gust a few weeks ago..its trashed..15 years old at least..I might put a 9' stainless whip up there just so I can fire up the CB if I want too..I made a 30' mast out of pipe I can crank up with a boat winch..a tilt up mast!..works pretty good..

Ham radio is a good hobby,but like a PC,it takes a lot of time and money..and sitting on your butt in front of them us unhealthy..my a$$ has never been as sore as it has lately from being online so much lately..not good!~..:doah: ..not a good hobby as far as keeping physically fit goes..:crazy:

7. pauly383

Whats neat about it is you don't have to spend a lot of money if you don't want to .

My most expense radio is the Alinco HT I got in 2000 .

My absolutely favorite ham experience was almost free . Dad and I built a 2m antenna for my old apartment . It consisted of a so-39 connector , 5 pieces of solid flexible wire ( think coathanger ) , some scrap 50 ohm cable , and 2 pl-259's .

With an old Icom 13 channel mobile and a cheap power supply , it would hit Mt. Lemon in Tucson from the closet in my bedroom :D

8. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

KC8VEY here.....

Got into HAM because of the 4 wheel club when i was in college. It was very nice to have good clear communications even if we were 50 miles apart.

Ever watch any rally races? The one held in upper michigan every year is a blast to help out with. They are always looking for radio operators at these events. Its a good way to get "behind the scenes".

The test is simple and you can now practice online www.qrz.com i believe.
    Look at around 100-200 for a mobile radio. There are also a ton of nice used units out there.

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

I'll probably take the Technician-exam first, then learn Morse and take the CW-exam for the fun of actually knowing Morse code.

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

Little bit of good news for any of y'all who know Morse and like to CW some. For cell phone text messaging, they've now found that using Morse to key and send your text messages actually works better and faster than putting a mini-keyboard on the phone and actually trying to type it out. This means cell-phone makers may hopefully decide to just start putting a Morse keying button on phones and Morse Code will experience a renaissance.

11. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Homebrew is a lot of fun. My 2 meter antenna is a J-pole I made out of copper pipe. My HF antenna is a dipole made out of two slinkys ;) Talk about portability!

12. pauly383

Gonna try my hand at one for the house here sometime . I shoudl set my stuff back up in the garage now that its wired up .

Feel free to e-mail my some pics and such for ideas :D

13. Inu-Hanyou1776

Anybody notice my post on the FIRST page of this thread about a possible public renaissance of Morse Code?

14. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Won't happen probably... You're looking at a generation of people who hardly even know what it is, let alone give a damn about how to do it. It may be more efficient, but I've seen some people type out messages on their cellphones faster than you could believe...

15. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

There are quite a few operators floating around here.... as found in the Communications forum:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=663245
    :D

16. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

17. Inu-Hanyou1776

Think I've started my own Morse Code revival on the anime forum. Look here.

I may have these young'uns spreading the word that Morse Code is cool before I even know it!