Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any lifted Cherokee's I have a few questions

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by rebelrockin, Jan 21, 2003.

1. rebelrockin

rebelrockin 1/2 ton status

Any lifted Cherokee\'s I have a few questions

I have a 89 Cherokee have the 4" lift to put on this weekend, I also have 2" coil spacers that I have had around here for it, prior to getting this lift, are these going to effect the lift am I going to have to get different control arms. This is a much different system then what I put on the Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: Any lifted Cherokee\'s I have a few questions

Depends on what brand of lift you got. Some have corrected controls arms some don't.

I was going to do the same set up (4" and a spacer) on mine but have desided to go back to Full Size.

-Jeremy

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I have done up to 2.5 in. with stock arms. IMO thats the highest I would go without some sort of correction.
    I would get a set of Teraflex, or Currie lower arms. DO NOT go with the Rubicon express arms if this is a daily driver!

4. rebelrockin

This is a 4' lift made by Rough Country. I recieved as a Christmas Gift so I can't complain. This type of lift is all new to me. I did not want any blocks what so ever on this rig so it is all coil and leaf. I appreciate any help I get here. I don't know what I may have gotten myself into here. We have a big Mud Run here in St. Helens, OR on the 22nd of Feb. I refuse to tear up the Blazer, Been there done that bad last year, she is only out on fare weather wheeling trips now. I have also a set of shakles for the jeep to boot, should I use them you think. I am going to go look for a set of different arms than what came with this kit and see what I can find. I really do appreate your help here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rebelrockin

This was a Christmas Gift for me. It is made by Rough Country. I see that there is no blocks which makes me happy all coil and leaf springs in this 4" kit.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

did it come with control arms??
    or a drop bracket to relocate the stock ones??

They have to have had a way to correct the arms and set them back at stock angles in order for the spacer to work with out making it worst.
    And yes having new leafs in theback is the only way to go, mine are stock and sagging great on the passenger side with my style of driving,LMAO

-Jeremy

7. rebelrockin

It came with control arms that are one solid piece for each side. What the big question is now. with my blazer and my son's rigs we had to get pitman arms for steering. what happens with the jeep steering. We feel so stupid to be honest here. The chevy's were easy.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

there should be a 4" steering arm in the kit, if not YOU NEED ONE, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

and sway bar disconnects too or atleast longer end links.
    The rear sway bar can come off but the front CAN'T ( well it can, but from what I have read on the Jeep XJ forums, they become a handful on the road)

-Jeremy

PS My assistant manager that moved back to OK. had a 86 XJ, if he didn't move we would be doing a SBC swap and about a 6" lift with rear coils and 4 link /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. rebelrockin

Well looking at everything here and at the list there isn't one in this kit.

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If the kit has arms then use them for now. I'm assuming that the spacers you have are something extra that you already had laying around. If that is correct then you will only need the steering correction and you'll be all set. I would hold off on the spacers and shackles till you get the new front links and decide what to do about leveling the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. rebelrockin

I have been every where trying to find a steering arm, they all seem to be with kits or either centrl 4 wheel parts show's them in there add and Jack it accessories is under contruction at the time. I meet with the man that will be doing my rear end today. I bought dana 60 he will take my axel's and weld them to the housing unit, what do you think about that situation. then run dana 44 on the front with 4.56.Is there a better brake lines than other's.
    How far do you live from St. Helens, OR [censored] I pay you money to come help us get this together. I don't have my son right now I sent him off to get educated, and major in beer drinking at college. Sure miss not having him around when it comes to projects. I do apprecaiate your help here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

As far as your axles go, I'm not sure what your saying is going to be done?
    If you contact Teraflex, Superlift or one of the other major XJ lift manufactures they WILL sell you the lifted arm for your steering correction. There is also steel braided brake lines that Procomp sells that are DOT approved. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Sorry but I'm like 2.5 to 3 hours away from ya. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I helped a buddy put a 4 inch Skyjacker lift on his Cherokee a couple of years ago. Even with the extended control arms we had a heck of a time getting the new coil springs into place. Adding a 2-inch coil spacer is gonna make it pretty tough to get everything squeezed into place.