Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any machinists have access to 6061-T6?

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by thatK30guy, Oct 10, 2005.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Enough to make some body lift pucks?

I'm not knocking ORD's product of their 1" body lift but would rather NOT pay $5.75 for each puck either.

Want to know if anyone can make some 1" BL's for cheaper than ORD's price. If so, PM me and lets talk. :waytogo: :deal:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ever priced 3" round 6061-T6? You don't need to be a machinist to make these either. All you need is a horizontal band saw and a drill press.

Personally I have a hard time seeing anyone make them for you for significantly less than $5.75 each.

Oh yeah, moving this to parts wanted.

Rene

3. thatK30guy

There aren't any metal shops near me that specialize or stock anything like that aluminum.

It would be quicker and easier on my part to have someone else make them. I don't really trust the horizontal band saw at work totally as it has been known to NOT make straight cuts. Plus I don't like to hold the stock in the drill press either. That and trying to get all 14 blocks the same height would be next to impossible using the tools and equipment we have here.

What I'm after is a shiny, smooth finish on the aluminum to make it look good, along with the strength, too. Thats why I prefer to hire someone to make them for me.

I don't understand why this moved to the Wanted forums. This topic can be talked about in the Garage, too, which is why I started it there. I don't know, maybe you see it differently? :dunno: The Garage should be a place to talk about anything and trying to find someone to do this should qualify Garage material.

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

$5.70 each :deal: :D

I may seriously be able to get these made, I have an awesome hookup for metals. Let me contact them and see what they can do for me.

5. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I think for someone else to obtain material, cut, drill and ship these to you, it'll be about the same as ORDs price.

They work in production and are also a big name in the game, so they can charge a bit more if they want, but getting someone to do a one time thing isn't usually worth their time.

6. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I know a few guys on here are using hocky pucks you can get them dirt cheap and they are probly stronger then most body lifts out thier. Ive seen new pucks sell for around a $1 each just a thought unless you just have to have aluminum.

7. thatK30guy

You've gotta be kidding me. Hockey pucks?!?! I'm not even going to go there. I've read and heard too much b.s. with hockey pucks. My life is worth something, isn't it? At least it is to my kids as I want to see them grow up you know? :surepal: :surepal: :surepal:

8. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

I found someone on EBAY a year ago that was selling aluminum stock. They even cut it for me. I used them on my 72. I will have to dig the box out, cause I think I had enough made for 3 rigs. Let me check

9. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I can't do much better then ORD's price, the bulk of the cost is the cutting and drilling.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Online metals lists 6061-t6 3" extruded round rod at $33.55 per foot.

McMaster has the same at $47.21 per foot.

Just some ideas on what the material costs if you hadn't looked it up.

11. tiresmokinchvy

tiresmokinchvy Registered Member

i am a machinist i might be able to get u some 6061-t6 i'll get u a price might have some in a scrap barrel

12. gn4u2c

gn4u2c 1/2 ton status

get the hockey pucks !! they are just as strong and will not squeek.

this is not a joke :D