Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any machinists interested in building me something???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Aug 13, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I want to get a passenger side D60 spring plate made at an 8 degee angle. It does not have to be anything pretty, just a square plate, I guess starting at an inch thick with an 8 degree angle, I will take care of drilling the holes. If you want to do this shoot me a PM. Thanks, Pete.

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

just curious, but why do you want a spring plate with an angle made into it? i can't see how that would affect anything.

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like this?

[​IMG]

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

do not forget the studs

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Peter, WHY?

6. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

pete do you mean under the spring to get the 8 de on the driveshaft? like i did i think you saw it at the campground /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't want to say you can't do that but you really should consider having the pumpkin rotated.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    just curious, but why do you want a spring plate with an angle made into it? i can't see how that would affect anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see Pete asking for this because he probably has shims under his front springs and needs to eliminate the stress on the 2 studs or bolts that go into the housing casting.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Az Kicking is a sponsor of this site and they makes some of the highest quality custom machined parts you will find. Give 'em a call...

[Edit] Just realized, Bill already replied, he and his son run Az-Kickin...

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

good point...

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I have 8 degree shims bolted to my front springs to fix my pinion angle. The front spring's center pin is located 2" forward from the stock location, which moves the center pin farther up the curve of the spring, rotating the pinion down. I have heard of people adding a shim under the spring plate to fix the problem, but that just adds more distance between the spring plate and the housing, putting more stress on the rear bolt and the rear mounting point in the housing. I would rather have an angled spring plate made to correct the problem, than know in the back of mind my that I have a potential weak point that if it fails, I am in big trouble. This truck is going to get the [I love Jeeps] wheeled out of it and I want to bullet proof everything that I can.

I emailed AZ-Kickin last week, but did not get a response.

I cannot even find anyone in NJ to rotate my tires properly, so forget about a carrier.

12. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Peter, WHY?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have tried the spherical washers and taking a little bit off of the spring plate to correct the angle, but no good, I do not like how weak everything looks.

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Just wondering if there is enough meat on the stock plate to machine off the 8* or does a new plate need to be made? I guessing the holes will need to be at 8* as well???

14. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Pete, We did not receive you email last week but I will look into the issue now. Make a little sketch with size, hole spacing, angle and anything else relevant. Click on the link at the top for AZ-Kickin for email or use fax or USmail. If you need it someone else will also, maybe we can work out a trade?
    AZ-Kickin Offroad Supply
    530 East 27th Street Tucson, AZ 85713
    1-520-882-8353 (fax)

15. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Cool, I will draw it out when I get home. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I know Wes would probably like one as well.

16. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

So, are you drastically affecting caster at this point? I have 6 degree shims and others told me I would need to have the housing rotated if I went any higher angle. Just curious on your thoughts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also, with the offset blocks, did you have to machine the center pin recess in the D60 spring plates to miss your newly located pin nut? If this works good, I might do the same. Maybe this will cut your costs if others buy in too - I'd be glad to help in that way.

17. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if a groop buy is starting hear i want to know more it sounds like something i should do

pete what is the angle on the front drive sfaft /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    if a groop buy is starting hear i want to know more it sounds like something i should do

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to start a new thread to determine how much interest there may be. I can't guarantee it will affect pricing, but if there is enough interest we will try to market these.

19. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So, are you drastically affecting caster at this point? I have 6 degree shims and others told me I would need to have the housing rotated if I went any higher angle. Just curious on your thoughts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also, with the offset blocks, did you have to machine the center pin recess in the D60 spring plates to miss your newly located pin nut? If this works good, I might do the same. Maybe this will cut your costs if others buy in too - I'd be glad to help in that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point I am only affecting my wheeling since the truck is parked until I get the spring plate issue resolved and get a new crush sleeve in my 14 bolt.

I added the shims to correct my caster since my D60 is farther up on the spring, which rotated the whole axle down. I am not trying to compensate for lift since I have a 6" lift.

If you rotate the housing you will still need to run shim's since in reality you're only rotating your knuckles, that passenger side spring pad did not move, unless the place rotating the housing also machines the spring pad to match the amount of angle the hosing was rotated or you are running coilovers!?

I did not use offset blocks, my springs were made to move the front axle forward 2" on the spring.

Since I only want a plate without the swaybar connector on it, AZKickin should be able to make this pretty quick since there will be a lot less maching involved to create that mounting point.

20. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sean and Bill, here's a pic of the problem with the D60's running shims:
    [​IMG]
    This is on my project '88 V30 with 6" springs, 1" zero-rates (which will be removed for actual machined tapered blocks) and a 4 degree shim sandwiched between there.

The sway bar is blocking the view of the nut and if it was visible, you could see the threads protruding on top of the nut where as the forward nut has the threads about 1/2 way thru the nut. Not enough contact.

I believe it was BOWTIE who posted a pic of his broken bolts on his D60. He ran 8" springs and the shims, too, only to experience BOTH bolts breaking. Resulted from the bolt head not sitting squarely on the u-bolt plate.

Anyways, good luck and let us know what you can design or come up with. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif