Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any magic techniques to remove a broken bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jed, May 26, 2002.

1. Jed

Jed Registered Member

My power streering pump top pivot bolt is broken off in the head. I should have noticed this when I bought the truck - never inspect a truck in the rain I guess. The pump works but its pulley is couple degrees off the plane of the water pump pulley and it squeaks peroidically hinting at a bearing problem or rubbing. Right now the top of the pwr steering pump bracket is resting on the water pump and is too close to the block by the looks of it (belt tension pushes it that way). I suppose I could just wedge the correct spacer between it and the head and hope it stays put (PING as it goes into the fan and through the rad. Ok bad idea.)

I'd like to set this thing up correctly esp. if it's eating the pump bearings. The broken bolt in the head looks like someone had a go at it with an E-Z out or similar so it's only got a couple mm around the edges for 1/2 a cm or so. How deep is this hole? Will a machine shop or engine builder have any 'magic' ways of fixing this problem while the head is in the truck?

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Drill n e-z out or r&r the head and send out to machine shop

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

EZ out...

Rene

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the bolt broke because it was overtightened or because it came loose then rattled and broke you should be able to get a sharp center punch and tap the bolt on the edge in the reverse rotation to remove it and it should start to move. If the bolt doesn't want to move and you have enough access to it then you could weld a small bolt to the existing broken one and just unthread it.

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

" Any magic techniques to remove a broken bolt?"

I think I read about this in Harry Potter. Tap it twice with your wand and mutter expeliamos! Hope this helps

tom

6. Jed

Jed Registered Member

Expelaramious! Darn, it didn't work. I'll have a go at it with and EZ out. Thanks.

7. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

you might also want to pour/spray some penetrating lubricant on it (maybe it'll make your task easier?)