Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any mechanics around or near pittsburgh willing to help me!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chvyblzr1977, May 3, 2003.

1. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

My blazer will not start i have no clue why there is gas getting to the carb i try starting it the carb poofs out smoke and the exhaust is smokeing as its turned off.The carb was rebuilt the distributor is brand new i need help please if anyone can help I would greatly appreicate it.

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

was it working after you rebuilt the carb and put in new distributor? if not, you probably have the timing off.

3. sunshineoffroad

sunshineoffroad Registered Member

Either the timing is off, or you have your firing order off. Double check to ensure your plug wires are on the right plugs in the right order. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 Have fun!

4. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

You didn't say it this problem started AFTER you rebuilt the carb/dist, or if thats why you did the work...
    ==
    On the asumption that this was the original problem, it sound like you wore out the timing chain, or the plastic gear dissintigerated and the cam timing is off
    --
    GM uses plastic coated gear teeth on an aluminum sprocket on the cam shaft...
    --
    after high milage and age, the timing chain steatches, and starts beaking the plastic teeth off...
    --
    The usual time to have this happen is when starting, usualy it will not happen when running, uless the gerar completely disintegrates.....
    ==
    The cam jumps pme pr two teeth or more, and you get the problem you have...
    --
    it takes a little experience, but you can check it by taking the drivers valve cover off, turning the crank to TDC #6 (oposite #1 in the firing order), and checking the overlap on #1..it should be split...both valves open the same amount...
    --
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. alesko

alesko Registered Member

Yeah were are you located. I live a couple miles north of connelsville.

6. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

Im in munhall its right by homestead.I believe you are like a hour away maybe not sure though i need help bad with my blazer i would greatly appreciate if you could come help me out some time.I know its need the distributor put back in and it needs to be top dead center and timed i have really no clue on how to do this and i dont want to mess it up.THanks