Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Military in Hawaii

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by readymix, Apr 9, 2005.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

My detailer offered me orders to a DDG in Pearl, I have been there before for a few days on liberty but never imagined living there.

Someone provide me with the goods and bads about life near Pearl.
    Housing costs, or wait list times
    Schools
    How hard will it be to have my truck there. Lifted and such, any legal issues
    Climate
    Crime rates and the area to stay away from......

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Good luck cheif, i wouldent mind going to Hawaii for my last 2 years but i think i would get a little bored of living on a island after a year, i think you would just run out of stuff to do.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have not said yes yet. My ideal location would be S.D. The wifes family and my former house are in Temecula.

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

See my avatar for more information :waytogo:

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I spent 90-93 there, but I was up at Schofield. Made it down to Pearl a few times, a lot nicer base than what we had.

Pros-It's closer to Honolulu than Schofield.

Areas to stay away from, depends on if it's night or day, some places you stay away from period. Stay away from the Wainae area after dark, and I know there are some places around there you don't hang out in after dark.

I really didn't have any idea what the housing was like at Pearl. At Schofield, it was pretty old and the waiting lists were quite long.

Having your truck there should not be a problem. You should see some of the rigs there. As for wheeling, there wasn't a whole lot that I knew of; but I did a lot in the training areas with our HMMWVs. The only area I can think of off the top of my head that civilians could go was this one trail up above Helemano. I know there's more.

And last but not least, if you have the chance to do a tour, and do it on the taxpayers' dime, go for it. In the three years I was there, I was able to see most of Oahu while on Army time, a lot of it from the door of a chopper. Got to see most of the Big Island on Army time and saw some of Maui on Army time. They have a lot of companies that offer weekday trips to the other islands with airfare and hotel and rental car included that is pretty reasonable.

You need to go. :D

6. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

I was stationed at Hickam from 1998-2001 with the AF. It shares a boundary with Pearl. It is a great place if you like the same weather every day and enjoy wearing sunscreen. You can tell people that you lived there and they will all be jealous.

It is a very beautiful place and to fly to the other islands is really cheap. There are places that you can stay cheap on the Big Island (Kilaea Military Camp in Volcanoes National Park) and on Kaui (Barking Sands).

I was always TDY to Japan, Korea, Guam and Alaska while I was there, so I really never got too tired of it. My wife and family got tired of being stuck on an island in the middle of the ocean, however. Another thing that sucks is that when a hurricane is bearing down on you there is absolutely nowhere to run to.