Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any military stationed in California?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wfo163, Jul 21, 2004.

1. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

I am going to be transferred to southern CA this winter. What do I need to get base stickers on my truck? It is licensed in CO and will never ever pass CARB restrictions. Any help is appreciated

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

pendleton or 29palms?

theres a bunch of members off of here that are stationed there. Look in the regional groups farther down the forums.

My brother had his 50 chevy down there and had no probs having it on base. I don't think they ever looked at it,LOL.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

im at pendleton along with a few others. i wont have wheels when i get abck there as im on pre deployment leave right now and leaving my rigs at my folks house here in eugene OR.

as for a base sticker here is how it works. you will need Mil ID, Drivers improvement if under 25, proof of valid ownership and insurance, and if your ride is 1976 to 1996(maybe 1998, cant remember right now) you will need a smog test. here is the deal on the smog test. its a visual and a sniffer for 99.9% of the rigs out there. so, if you have an open air cleaner, headders without a 50 state legal tag, MSD box and no sticker for 50 state on your truck, no cats or mufflers, missing an EGR valve if applicable and the air pump...
    you get the point. it has to be OEM to your year OR have a 50 state legal sticker with number for the computer on it.

ways around this? well, keep your old sticker if you have one, taking some thinner to it to fade it a lil faster. then once ya cant read what base it WAS from go in and ask for a new color bar sticker. thats option one. option two is ask around base at your new unit with the gearheads to find who to go to at JRC(where ya get your sticker if going to pendleton) who needs to be hooked up with a 20 spot and give ya a sticker. i dont need smog now, so i dont nkow the guy anymore.

option 3, get a deisel. no smog on diesels in cali.

good luck on your move. and welcome to cali. i cant wait to leave the place personaly.
    grant

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hummmmm we diddetn need smog, just proof of insurance drivers license and regeristration and id of coure, but thats it.... mught be different there though

5. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Seventy4Blazer is on about the smog, even if its reg out of state, the marine bases won't give you a sticker w/o smog. Also as far as tires go, the navy bases require mud flaps if the wheels extend out more than (2"?) from the fender. I tell ya what, have seen some goofy flaps made just so you can get a sticker. A lot of folks go with extend-a-flares.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

wowo i diddent have to deal with none of that crap, lucky me i guess

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I never dealt with any of that smog or inspectiuon crap either. I guess it depends on where you go. All I gave them was proof of iinsurance, ID, DL, Registraion, and the unit I was attached too. I got one from 29 Plams and Miramar. But then again this was 8 years ago!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

In San Diego County smog is required for all vehicles registered out of state in order to get a base sticker. I am holding out until my sticker from my last duty station expires.