Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any MS-DOS people here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If ya followed along with my media thread, I went off into search for utilities to let me change a file over to a .wmv file. Anyway, couldn't use what <font color="orange">gotmud</font> suggested, but I looked around and found something I might be able to use. Problem is it runs MS-DOS.

WTF is an "Invalid Argument?"

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

An argument is something you provide to a program. It's the thing you want to perform the action on. If you want to copy a file you type "copy (file) (destination)" where (file) is the name of the source file and (destination) is the name of the new file you want the old one copied to. Both (file) and (destination) are the "arguments" of the copy procedure. Whatever program you're using to convert this file is expecting a certain argument (maybe the file you want to convert) from you and you're either not supplying it with one at all or the one you're giving it isn't what it's expecting. It's hard to say exactly what's wrong without knowing what the program is and what exactly it does, as well as the syntax of it and so forth. If you could send me the program and the file you want to convert I can take a look at it and try to figure something out.

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    WTF is an "Invalid Argument?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything from the bleeding heart liberal left /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

What he said.

Make sure if you have switches (options like "/w /K" etc) to supply to the program, you're not putting them in the wrong place, and the program is not reading them as the arguments.

I.E. if you type "Dir /w win.ini" instead of "dir win.ini /w", you may get an "invalid switch" or "invalid argument" (above is theory, the "dir" command in particular is very forgiving)

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Here's what I'm trying to use Encoder
    I've emailed you the file I'm trying to convert over.

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well, here's what I got: ERROR: Unsupported source file format

I don't think this program recognizes the .vcr extension. This is mainly a Microshaft program to convert standard a/v formats to other standard formats, such as converting a .wmv to a .avi. You may have to do some more searching to find a program that converts .vcr files. Maybe check on the program developer's site. What game is it anyway? They may have some instructions on converting it to a different format on their site. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to do, short of videotaping your screen with a digital video camera and then saving that video as a .avi or .mpg file. Sorry I wasn't of much help /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Thanks for the help. It's SODA Off Road Racin. It friggin rocks, but it's old. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Anybody here play 4x4 Evo....I havent played in a long time but I had some insane rigs that I had downloaded and built. If anybody plays then we should have a CK5 online play time or something.....