Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any N.C. - CK5'ers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kick, Jan 8, 2006.

1. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of relocating to the Boone N.C. area any info will be appreciated. Do they have car inspections ?

2. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

im in NC for about another 10 months but yeh they got inspections .dont really know much about anything up here im in jacksonville right now. cant wait to go back to TN to get away from those inspections.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i have a buddy that live down there. it just depends on wher you are in the state. someplace have em and some dont. overall its a pretty strict state but theres always ways around em. if you have to pass find a backwoods shop that'll pass you for some cash. thats what my buddy had to do to get through. It sucks but sometimes its nessecary.

4. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Yeah I hate the inspections had em in NY and MA. I'm in FL also no inspections. I'm tired of hurricane season Charlie missed us by 15 miles.had enough of the heat, the terrain - too flat. Need a change.

My 85 has a 5" lift. I wonder what hoops they'd make me jump thru ? The 90 is stock.

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Yea, we've got inspections, but the specific requirements differ by county. Here in Brunswick county, it's basically, if your headlights work, you're good to go. Sometimes they don't even look at the truck, they'll just hand you a sticker.

My truck isn't lifted, so I don't know about how they'd hassle you in that respect, but I see a TON of poser trucks on 40s, 42s all the time, and I know they gotta get inspected somehow. I think the biggest hassle you'll get is emissions, if they even do that in whatever county Boone's in.

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

35 years and older.............no inspection required..................'95 and up...........requires hooking up to a machine...............all kept on computers......if ya let a newer sticker expire for ( I think ) 60 days, it's a $250.00 fine, and they come to yer house and take your license plate! No, chit!!! At least in Catawba county. I'll look for the DMV link. Oh, check here too.................good people! http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/index.php

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well, in mecklenburg county starting this yr, 95 and older doesnt have to pass a smog test, just safety.

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wow......found this...........

§ 20‑70. Division to be notified when another engine is installed or body changed.
    (a) Whenever a motor vehicle registered hereunder is altered by the installation of another engine in place of an engine, the number of which is shown in the registration records, or the installation of another body in place of a body, the owner of such motor vehicle shall immediately give notice to the Division in writing on a form prepared by it, which shall state the number of the former engine and the number of the newly installed engine, the registration number of the motor vehicle, the name of the owner and any other information which the Division may require. Whenever another engine has been substituted as provided in this section, and the notice given as required hereunder, the Division shall insert the number of the newly installed engine upon the registration card and certificate of title issued for such motor vehicle.
    (b) Whenever a new engine or serial number has been assigned to and stamped upon a motor vehicle as provided in G.S. 20‑69, or whenever a new engine has been installed or body changed as provided in this section, the Division shall require the owner to surrender to the Division the registration card and certificate of title previously issued for said vehicle. The Division shall also require the owner to make application for a duplicate registration card and a duplicate certificate of title showing the new motor or serial number thereon or new style of body, and upon receipt of such application and fee, as for any other duplicate title, the Division shall issue to said owner a duplicate registration and a duplicate certificate of title showing thereon the new number in place of the original number or the new style of body. (1937, c. 407, s. 34; 1943, c. 726; 1975, c. 716, s. 5.)

§ 20‑109. Altering or changing engine or other numbers.
    (a) It shall be unlawful and constitute a felony for:
    (1) Any person to willfully deface, destroy, remove, cover, or alter the manufacturer's serial number, transmission number, or engine number; or
    (2) Any vehicle owner to knowingly permit the defacing, removal, destroying, covering, or alteration of the serial number, transmission number, or engine number; or
    (3) Any person except a licensed vehicle manufacturer as authorized by law to place or stamp any serial number, transmission number, or engine number upon a vehicle, other than one assigned thereto by the Division; or
    (4) Any vehicle owner to knowingly permit the placing or stamping of any serial number or motor number upon a motor vehicle, except such numbers as assigned thereto by the Division.
    A violation of this subsection shall be punishable as a Class I felony.
    (b) It shall be unlawful and constitute a felony for:
    (1) Any person, with intent to conceal or misrepresent the true identity of the vehicle, to deface, destroy, remove, cover, alter, or use any serial or motor number assigned to a vehicle by the Division; or
    (2) Any vehicle owner, with intent to conceal or misrepresent the true identity of the vehicle, to permit the defacing, destruction, removal, covering, alteration, or use of a serial or motor number assigned to a vehicle by the Division; or
    (3) Any vehicle owner, with the intent to conceal or misrepresent the true identity of a vehicle, to permit the defacing, destruction, removal, covering, alteration, use, gift, or sale of any manufacturer's serial number, serial number plate, or any part or parts of a vehicle containing the serial number or portions of the serial number.
    A violation of this subsection shall be punishable as a Class I felony. (1937, c. 407, s. 73; 1943, c. 726; 1953, c. 216; 1965, c. 621, s. 3; 1967, c. 449; 1973, c. 1089; 1975, c. 716, s. 5; 1979, c. 760, s. 5; 1979, 2nd Sess., c. 1316, s. 47; 1981, c. 179, s. 14; 1987, c. 512; 1993, c. 539, s. 1255; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Eyes got tired........here ya go...........
    "In the 2003-2004 Legislative Session, N.C. G.S. 20-20-183.2 was amended by adding a new subsection that became effective January 1, 2005:"(a1) Safety Inspection Exception.- Historic vehicles, as defined in G.S. 20-79.4(b)(17), shall not be subject to a safety inspection pursuant to this Article."

The section referenced above concerns specialty license tags, and defines a historic vehicle as "a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old measured from the date of manufacture."

The upshot of this is that if your vehicle is 35 years old or older, you are exempt from annual safety inspections. As this is a brand-new law, it might be wise to carry a copy of the statute with you, since it is possible that not all law enforcement personnel are aware of the change.

Also, if you were not aware, N.C. G.S. 20-63(d) allows you to run a year-of-manufacture tag on your historic vehicle. The statute states that "any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person."

Again, the historic vehicle owner is advised to carry a copy of this statute in the vehicle, just in case."

G.S. 20-20-183.2
    http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...hapter_20.html

G.S. 20-79.4
    http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...S_20-79.4.html

G.S. 20-63
    http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat.../GS_20-63.html

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Too hot? Too flat? Need a change? Sounds like Canmore Alberta is calling your name, brother!!! :rotfl:

10. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

I'd love to move up to your neck of the woods sounds good maybe someday to Maine or the like.

11. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Thanks dontoe - geez the 85 has a crate engine and I have 2 antique vehicles. interesting info.

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I live in Boone. Its ane awesome town. Its not very big at all, its just a college campus with a small town around it. If you like the outdoors, then there is tons to do. It does get cold here and frequently snows in the winter, but its an awesome place to live. Im in school here at appalachian state, so if you move up..call me.
    -Harrison