Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any NOVA freaks? Factory sliding top on 70'? Real or not?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Oct 24, 2003.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Any NOVA freaks? Factory sliding top on 70\'? Real or not?

Try'n to find out what the scoop is on a 70 Nova with a factory sliding top. I have found one, but it is the only one I have ever heard about. I've been in to Novas since I can remember and owned a few along the way, but I have never seen or heard of one with a factory sliding rag top. The top slides from about 6" from the front to about 20" from the back. It looks stock, the guy selling it swears it stock and the price he's asking for it is extremely high$$$$. If I can find out if this sucker is truely a factory option I will buy it. Does anyone know where I can find out any info?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: Any NOVA freaks? Factory sliding top on 70\'? Real or not?

if a post whore is someone who doesnt add much to any technical discussions and makes lots of worthless posts, i nominate capman2k...now i just hope crappy2k reads this.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if a post whore is someone who doesnt add much to any technical discussions and makes lots of worthless posts, i nominate capman2k...now i just hope crappy2k reads this.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WHORE!!!

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well damnit i knew i posted into the wrong post with that..now i know where it went...lmao sorry...as for the sliding top issue...ive never EVER seen one, and i doubt that its factory...but id be willing to wager if you took a couple sockets with you, some of the hardware on it is metric, that would be a dead give-away..

5. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

I went to HS with a kid who's dad had an early 70's Nova (not sure of exact year) that had a sliding vinyl moonroof exactly as you are describing. No idea if it was factory.

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I have never seen one, how would they pull that off with a Uni-Body?

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THEY MAY NOT EXIST....

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Correction its a 72' SS. Supposedly they made 600 of them, but I've only found one source so far.

8. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

They are a factory thing but not limited to the SS, I ran across one at a tow yard auction one time and got out bid but from what I know of them they are a very very rare thing and highly collectible if still in good working order. If he wants high $$$'s for it pay it its worth it and you can always get it back out of the car at a later date, well keep in mind if the car is a full #'s matching car then yes if not then talk him down a little. I have a very soft spot for nova's can you tell /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Thanks JD. #'s don't match, but the car is flawless. It's got a 650hp 454 in it. Aside from the motor and tranny being suited for race the rest of the car is in mint condition. I've got him talked down from $18g's, but still looking for hard evidence on the factory sliding ragtop.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Contact GM with the vin. Maybe they can tell you what you need to know.

11. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Check out this website, www.novaresource.org , its where I got all my info when I bought a 71 Nova SS clone. Also check on www.yenko.net and their message board, they know their stuff about rare items like this. If you get it post up some pics I would love to see it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Thanks JD. I'll check em out.

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

http://www.novaresource.org/history.htm

The Nova received a minor appearance change in 1973. The rear side windows were enlarged, larger front and rear bumpers were government mandated, and new grill and tail lights freshened-up the look of the Nova. The door vent windows disappeared and a new three-door hatchback body style was introduced. The Nova Custom was the new top-of-the-line body style in 1973 and the Rally Nova was dropped. The SS option was now available with any engine, even the 6 cylinder. The package included a bold side stripe and a blacked-out grille and tail light panel. The Skyroof option was still available but this was the last year. 3,259 Skyroof Novas were built for the 1973 model year built unlike the previous year, all colors carried the same RPO code (RPO-CF1).

http://www.novaresource.org/rpo2.htm
    scroll down to CF1

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    http://www.novaresource.org/history.htm

The Nova received a minor appearance change in 1973. The rear side windows were enlarged, larger front and rear bumpers were government mandated, and new grill and tail lights freshened-up the look of the Nova. The door vent windows disappeared and a new three-door hatchback body style was introduced. The Nova Custom was the new top-of-the-line body style in 1973 and the Rally Nova was dropped. The SS option was now available with any engine, even the 6 cylinder. The package included a bold side stripe and a blacked-out grille and tail light panel. The Skyroof option was still available but this was the last year. 3,259 Skyroof Novas were built for the 1973 model year built unlike the previous year, all colors carried the same RPO code (RPO-CF1).

http://www.novaresource.org/rpo2.htm
    scroll down to CF1

[/ QUOTE ]

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaanx R72K5 and JD. I love hard evidence, they even show a pic of the top. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Scroll down to WV1 through WV9 and it tells you the production numbers based on skyroof color...3000+ in black, but only 164 in blue.

Rene